Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,895   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What is the normal mat and frame for 20x24?

I'm thinking of doing some 20x24 printing, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the presentation. It seems to me that 28x32 (4 inch mat) seems logical, but I cant seem to find many frames or for that matter any glazing in that size, and I hate cutting glass.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I delivered 4 prints to a bank last week, the prints were 20x24, matted to 32x36, 6 inches around each edge. They look great on the wall. I bought section frames at Michaels and ordered glass pre-cut to size for a local glass shop. 28x32 should work also. I decided to go bigger because of the vast wall space at the bank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine are probably too wimpy, but I have them matted and framed to 24x28.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've framed many prints this size & I think it really depends on the image. I leave it to my framer these days, he being an extremely talented artist as well and he has that innate sense of aesthetics... he treats each image on it's 'feel' and not as a 'size'.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My photo professors convinced me that the bottom side of the mat should be larger than the other three sides. It is a view point and perspective thing to anchor the image or like the Greeks cutting the columns slightly curved so they look straight on the temple. They argue that if it is the same all around it looks smaller at the bottom.

I measure out from the image on the paper. One measurement is for a horizontal image the other for a vertical. 31 ¼ " x 29 ¼” and 27 ¼” x 33 ¼ “ Crescent Select White Glove

I like a standard mat black Nielsen aluminum frame. The ones I get are marked S21 at American Frame. That ends up being just a ¼ inch of frame all around. Some people like much larger. The professor thought the image ought to be more important than the frame. Some people and their ideas.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I'm thinking of doing some 20x24 printing, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the presentation. It seems to me that 28x32 (4 inch mat) seems logical, but I cant seem to find many frames or for that matter any glazing in that size, and I hate cutting glass.
    Someone else suggested it, but I will emphasize it! AmericanFrame.com is a great place to get any size frame you want (including glass or plexi) at the most reasonable prices around! They have some of the highest quality frames I've seen anywhere & they send all the hardware you need!

I 'work' for the local matting & framing instructor at the jr. college and she'll commonly use a 4" border on a print that size. If you go too much bigger, you'll get into a situation where you will have to 'museum cut' the mat (so the bottom border is bigger than the top) so the picture does not appear to be 'falling'. I'd go with a simple black frame, too, but not too thin or it will make the print seem 'not quite right'. I'd also recommend plexi in this situation for lightness... unless these will be hanging in the direct sunlight, then you'll need the more expensive low-e stuff. You can go with the glare resistant if you will only be single-matting the prints too.

Your pics are good enough that they ought to be printed big!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Buy the glass locally at any glass shop. Mine is two miles away but delivers just to be sure I don't break it coming home. It is too fragile and heavy versus value to ship.

Who is hanging these and where will they hang? Plexi is great if weight or shipping/breakage is a problem. You are talking a lot of glass weight for an older or smaller person to wrestle around on a ladder. Regular sheet glass looks great but is heavy.

I have thirty 7x17s hanging in a Cleveland museum for 9 months. They bought the glass and mats. They said buy museum glass. The mats are cut with 3 ¼ “ on three sides and 4” on bottom. I would scale up from there to your 20x24s.

I use American Frame for everything but glass, but then they are only 125 miles away from me. Order by 800 phone number mid week and they will spend some time with your questions. They usually ship within 24 hours unless it is near the end of a college term. Then is goes out to 48 hours or a little more.

Just one person’s opinion. What you do is a very personal thing and as far as I know there are no set rules. There are always those who will say what ever you did is wrong, but is their work as good as their talk?

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I do 30x351/2. It depends on if you want to overmat the print or float it. I like to float it and leave a 1/2" reveal between the print and the mat. This leaves the top and sides at equal dimensions and a little extra on the bottom. The people I buy frames from right here in town cut them to order so it's no big deal for the odd size...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did five for my MFA exhibit, back in 1986 and I just used full 32x40 sheets of mat board and 32x40 glass. The proportions are pretty dramatic. I made a mistake back then in using a Nielsen #11 frame. The 11 is quite flimsy at that size.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately, there are no real standards for mat borders. Most mat borders are the result of placing one standard frame size into another. For example, an 11x14 will usually be matted for a 16x20 frame resulting in unequal borders of 2 1/2 and 3 inches. For an image as large as 20x24 I would not go under 2 inches and I would only do that with a thin frame. 4 inches is probably more ideal, and 5 or 6 will give it more of a gallery look but that will also dramatically increase the cost of the frame due to the size. If you are going to order from a frame wholesale company you will also want to consider shipping cost since you can end up with dimensional weight charges and over size fees. Standard mats will seldom be bottom weighted because that restricts the orientation. When selecting standard mat sizes for my company I settled on 2 inches (24x28) and 4 inches (28x32).

Cheers,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin