Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,858   Online: 827

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boudoir site.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    J

This might be a quibble, but I don't think so.

Fine Art vs Commercial Art.

If I buy a picture at a gallery to hang on my wall, its Fine Art.
    If I pay a gunslinger to take a picture, its Commercial Art.

I guess I don't care who is wearing clothes,
    but I don't believe there is any shame in saying that what we do is Commercial Art.
    It becomes double talk when we clothe ourselves as artistes,
    and look down our nose at fellow photographers who are in it for the money.

It isn't right to say, "Well, I'll take your picture, and accept your money,
    to make a boudoir portrait, but I am purer and finer than the guy down the road who
    charges money to take pictures of naked women !"

Bruner = Fine Artist
    Cardwell = Commercial Hack

Just a thought. Good luck.

d
    Interesting DF. I am a commercial hack as well. In being that, I will of course take full advantage of a marketing angle. Most of the clients I think will warm to the idea of making themselves the subject of "Art". That's kind of the idea, anyway, I hope it proves out. I'd like to be the goto guy for the pretentious and monied looking for "the next level" in boudoir. I can certainly live with the dichotomy, and the more money I make, the easier it would be. I tried to sell my soul on ebay, but they have some kind of policy on that.

In other words, if I did it on my own, and then managed to get a book published, or I am commissioned to do the work and be paid, it's all the same to me at this point. I'm tired of starving.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-27-2009 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether a dedicated site or blog format, there is a comforting factor associated with the informality. My wife was looking over my shoulder and made a few comments you might be interested in. There is nothing about the experience from the model's perspective. She has posed for me but can't imagine what it would be like posing for a "stranger". Perhaps some words to calm her down would help. Also, she was asking if "boudoir" always means nude. My wife is the most beautiful woman on the face of ths earth -- that's just in case she reads this -- but the effects of 40+ years and several children has left her a bit insecure about her body. Perhaps some comforting words for the other "most beautiful women who have aged and/or had children" would also help.

Keep going, J!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Ok, I've started a little venture to have a web presence for boudoir photography. Nobody is being directed to it as of yet, and many more photographs need to be scanned and uploaded, but I won't be doing that until the basics are set. Although it is "public", it's beta, as in it won't get traffic until I'm happy and begin to promote it. I'm mostly interested in feedback on the theme and layout, stupid mistakes I haven't noticed, subtle mistakes, or nuances that 3rd parties to the effort can provide. Also the gamma on the pictures.. do they seem too light?

http://boudoirutah.blogspot.com
    I like it and I like it being a blog, more personal than a flash site/sales gimmick. People who are from the 21st century should respond well to it. I'm for way back in the 20th and I like it...Evna Clarke

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Whether a dedicated site or blog format, there is a comforting factor associated with the informality. My wife was looking over my shoulder and made a few comments you might be interested in. There is nothing about the experience from the model's perspective. She has posed for me but can't imagine what it would be like posing for a "stranger". Perhaps some words to calm her down would help. Also, she was asking if "boudoir" always means nude. My wife is the most beautiful woman on the face of ths earth -- that's just in case she reads this -- but the effects of 40+ years and several children has left her a bit insecure about her body. Perhaps some comforting words for the other "most beautiful women who have aged and/or had children" would also help.

Keep going, J!
    Hi Brian,

Points well taken. I think I'll have one of the clients write a testimonial on the experience.

Boudoir doesn't have to mean nude, and I will be posting some work to that effect.

The nice thing is that between the film and the paper, everything comes out smooth as a baby's butt, and what might be left can be retouched on the negative, I'm trying to wrap my head around explaining that. What I do know is that a subject who isn't comfortable with his/her body isn't a prime candidate, and I'm not going to nudge somebody very hard who will most likely be displeased because of their own self image issues. A fine line indeed, and I'm not saying your wife fits that category. I'm sure she's lovely. Personally, I wouldn't trade my smokin hot 44yo for anything!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All this talk about site design is great and has provided good points.
    I think DF Cardwell’s remarks are valid and they remind me of a Studio Photographer that did boudoir photos.

This photographer had a thriving business in the late 80’s early 90’s. He had become well known and several well known people had their photos made by this person. One of those people was the mayor’s wife. She was very attractive and the photographs that were a result were very impressive, no nudes but very seductive. The photographs were so good that the photographer decided to use them as samples. He had a very large print made and displayed it in the window of the studio. He also has an album made up of just her photographs so he could show potential clients.

The mayor’s wife had recommended this photographer to a female friend of hers. When the friend arrived at the studio she saw the large print of the mayor’s wife displayed in the window and she immediately called the mayor’s wife. The large print and samples were made up and displayed without the client’s approval and a law suite followed.

I happen to have known this photographer and I had asked if he had a model release and if the client had signed some document allowing him to display the work. He did have a model release and it was signed by her, but did not have specific permission to display the work, the judge in this case found in her favor.

The bottom line is the Studio closed and the photographer lost everything. He eventually left town.

The reason I bring this up, is the incident I refer to was before the internet, so only people who walked by or were customers saw the image.

J Brunner is posting on a medium that is viewed word wide and it seems to me that having specific permission to display the images on the internet and all that goes with it is even more important and should be obtained.

This aspect may have already been dealt with but I felt it needed mentioning for the benefit of others that might be thinking of taking their photography in this direction.

Best of luck to you Mr. Brunner.

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    35mm
    All images are released, so I have both the rights and copyrights. A very good point, however, especially in the day and age of the hacks who don't understand, both in respect to their own copyrights, and the rights to a likeness.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-27-2009 at 01:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    very good point, however, especially in the day and age of the hacks

And in the day of plain ol' normal folk,
    the ones that would make good clients..... for a generation or two !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Thanks Bob,

Switched to white.. IDK.. Condensed the sizes dialogue...

The techie stuff I have to find a balance....

I need the Banana... he's a sooper jenious at this stuff.

Aw shucks.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Off topic I know but banana - your dad rocks! I love that quote. At my stage in life I have only two categories of people: Those who are good value at a party - and those who aren't! you dad clearly fits the former!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Negotiating a shoot for next weekend...maybe this will work....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin