Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,601   Online: 884

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I just went down to Duggals in NYC to get some Velvia slides printed. They're one of the best photo processing/printing centers in NYC. Maybe the only one left that will still process all sorts of film onsite. They no longer offer cibachrome prints and my only remotely economical printing option was a digital scan to print. I looked at my slides set out before me on their cashier light table and just felt dejected.

So I've been thinking, is it absolutely necessary to print E6 if it's large format? That is, has anyone ever contrived a way to mount 4X5 slides in a backlit shadowbox or something similar? I understand color correctness, eveness of light and powering it might be a concern, but has this been done before? It seems like such a great unadulterated way to present color slides.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've certainly seen art installations using this technique with lightboxes - medium format works fine - images are like little jewels that you have to get up close to. Large format would be great. I have considered wrapping a support column in our condo with this product (no connection) www.ceelighting.com and "hanging" MF film strips.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've occasionally displayed 8x10" transparencies with a 5000K Logan lightpad. They're made for the purpose, as well as for use as a portable lightbox, and they aren't too pricey.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about enlarging to dupe film? It's readily available, easily processable, and will give very impressive results when displayed.

I just came up with this idea and feel proud. I finally have a way to print my kodachrome without that *F*SDF***adsaf*** scanner!

That would be AWESOME! and I can use that box of 4x5 fujidupe I have in my freezer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean printing to film destined for backlit illumination? This technique is widespread in commercial and advertising scenarios, coming from anything from 5x4, 8x10 to panorama media.

Why should you not consider it absolutely necessary to your beautiful E6 5x4 images!? What happens to them otherwise? Chroming them (Cibachrome) is the best way, but unfortunately, also the most expensive (I don't complain having to live on a boiled egg for 2 weeks through my copious Ciba printing regime!). But display film as mentioned above is the next best thing; the boxes I've seen use LED illumination and very little power.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses. Poisson, do you have any idea if the boxes you mention are commercially available? If not, anyone have ideas on how you could construct a compact one that looks like a single print frame that would run off of batteries. I guess ideally there would be a button somewhere that would give a timed illumination when a viewer pressed it.

Tiberius, I don't know anything about the process you've described. I'll definitely look into it, though. Sounds interesting.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Poisson, do you have any idea if the boxes you mention are commercially available? If not, anyone have ideas on how you could construct a compact one that looks like a single print frame that would run off of batteries. I guess ideally there would be a button somewhere that would give a timed illumination when a viewer pressed it.

Tiberius, I don't know anything about the process you've described. I'll definitely look into it, though. Sounds interesting.

Leo

The film viewer is a simple fabricated aluminium structure 2m x 800mm with an opaque perspex top with illumination provided by 3 fluoro tubes (these are energy-efficient things, not the archaic long glass tubes). The clear film images have a removeable-grade self-adhesive. The images on the lightbox I have seen are digital (clear) film prints, and I remain unconvinced this is the best way to 'print' from transparencies, which ideally should be afforded the luxury of Ciba printing to bring out their best. The blacklit box in my local lab was constructed a few years ago by the brother of the guy who does the darkroom work in the shop. I imagine it is possible to buy these boxes commercially by I don't know where, especially since I am in Australia and you are in ... [ ? ] ...!?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post

Leo
    It just involves enlarging to 4x5 or 8x10 slide duplicating film (kodak edupe whatever or fuji CDU dupe, it's on their websites. Ultrafineonline.com has outdated 4x5 and 8x10 fuji stock cold stored going for cheap.) You dial in the filter pack and make a test strip. Painstaking due to the process length and most easily done with home E6 processing.

My photo teacher said that she has mounted slides like this for display using fluorescent EXIT sign kits(?). IDK where to buy them but the idea seems very valid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great tips. It may take me a while to get around to it, but I think both these options are getting done. I'll let you know how it goes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin