Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,336   Online: 947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double mats?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

double mats?

A local restaurant has decided to have a few photos on the walls for sale. But the owner is being quite particular and wants only white, double mats. Is there a standard way to cut these as I usually cut my own? Or is there someone that will do them custom at not-too-high prices? I found pre-cut ones at documounts.com, but the board is unlabeled, so I don't know if I want to take the chance.
    It might be a moot question anyway because the owner will be jurying the photos anyway and I guess he's looking for a specific look (but all we know is "rustic" and "local"). Only 8 photos at a time will make it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bethe, I can cut them for you. We use a Wizard mat cutter. Let me know what size opening and mounts and I can ship them to you. If not, check with documents.com to make sure their mats are acid-free. I'm assuming that's what you mean by "taking a chance."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I learned to cut the outer mat 1/4" larger than the inside mat. But that is not set in stone; larger photographs, for instance could be matted with 1/2" differences.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Bethe,

The typical reveal between the bottom mat and top mat is 1/4 inch. For example if you have an 8x10 photo, 11x14 frame and select 1/4 inch offset for the top mat you would cut the botton mat at 7 3/4 x 9 3/4 and the top mat would be cut to 8 1/4 x 10 1/4.

My company is having a 10% off sale on everything including mats and double mats for APUG members right now. Website promo code APUG9677 expires March 18th, 2009.

Cheers,
    Mark

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    ...about the mats...acid free is not very meaningful since most companies claim all mat board is acid free. Paper mat board is made from wood pulp and will be buffered so that it is TEMPORARILY acid free but can not be used for archival framing. You need mat board made of naturally inert components such as alpha cellulose or cotton. Bainbridge alphamat and alpharag mat board are both very archival as is Crescent rag board. I have more info about mat board types here.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually use a cotton rag board from Light Impressions. I like the color of it and have not liked the color of the Alphamat and Alpharag ones (who knew there are so many shades of white). The documounts site says that what is used for the double mounts is safe, but says, "These mats are imported and a non-branded matboard."
    I can't even submit my work for jurying until April 1, so I won't be buying any mats until after that - I just wanted to know ahead of time what I might be getting myself into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This year, to mount prints about 10.5 inches square, I cut the inner mat to about 10.3 inches square (optically centered for 16 x 20 frame). The outer mat I cut for a 0.3 inch reveal on sides and top, 0.5 inch reveal on bottom where I stick my signature. For those of us who cut our own, I note that making the reveal extremely narrow tends to show flaws in the dimensions more noticeably than with a wider cut.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those of us who cut our own, I note that making the reveal extremely narrow tends to show flaws in the dimensions more noticeably than with a wider cut.
    Thanks for mentioning that - it's very useful info.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bethe,

I've cut my own forever and have always used the same board material for the mat as for the print mount. That way I will never again be surprised by a different shade of white in the two boards which looks really weird. I now get my boards from documounts.com because they're fairly close and can be picked up at the retail store, but I've ordered Alpharag in a specific shade of white that I like ... yes, there are many shades! If you're not already aware, documounts.com make available swatch samples called "Specifiers" (for $1.00) so you can be certain of what you want. Many many years ago (as a novice) I bought boards somewhere that were "white" on the surface, but had a core that was not acid free and it wasn't long before the core turned yellow and was very noticeable in the bevel cut. I scrapped those prints, switched to SOLID archival boards and never looked back.

Hope I'm not relating things you're already on top of.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bethe - I saw something today I might try and thought I would pass on to you. A water colorist friend cuts one matte about 1/4 inch back on all sides. Then she cuts a piece of archival foamcore (3/16 in thick) a quarter inch back from that on each side. She then places the foamcore between the matte and the piece, which floats the matte out from the print, looking similar to double matte, and nowhere near as critical in terms of accuracy of cut or position, and without the work and expense of the second matte. You would need at least a half inch border on your print so that it runs under the foamcore, but you probably do already if you reveal the border inside the matte window.
    So, what's with the restaurant owner's hangup on double mattes, anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin