Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,523   Online: 1023

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

aggie,

Will a brown emery board work just as well?
    Its all about the image, not the process.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    mike,
    I have a larger Logan and if you want we can get together and I will show you how I cut matts. I don't have to change blades too often. I agree with Aggie tho the emery boards are useful if you need them.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee showed me how a while ago and have cut a few since. I don't see any difference from the mats I cut and those I see hanging in the galleries (well, the pictures inside the mats are usually better in the gallery )
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I buy 'em pre-cut. I'd rather brush my teeth with a pitchfork than cut mattes. 90% of my mattes right now are 16x20 with a 10x10 window.

Images
    I use both, but would rather buy precut ones. Time is precious, I'd rather spend it photographing or working on prints. Matte cutting is really boring if you ask me.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee, thanks I will try to find the time so we can get together - nothing like a little hands on with someone that knows what they are doing to get the hang of it. For me, even though it may be a pain, it is nice to give someone a print that was handled by me from start to finish. But then again, I didn't make the film or the paper... :^)
    Mike C

Rambles

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would think that anyone that hates to do something is probably doing it wrong. I think the key is to lay out the back of the mat board first and I draw a center line then I measure the print side to side. I divide that number in half. After that I measure both sides to ensure that they are equal. I then use that same measurement for the for the top cut. Now measure the print in the verticle and add 3/8's to the top and 1/2" to the bottom and make a mark there. Carry the mat to the mat cutter and use the mat cutter to draw 4 lines on the 4 marks you just made. Now use the bevel cutter on the 4 marks rotating the board so that you are always cutting to the cut you just made. 4simple cuts and you are done.

The big trick is to cut mats as you finish the prints. That way you are ready for the show and don't have to pull an all-nighter the night before the show hanging. It is really pretty easy. (for me that is)

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    if you buy pre-cut mats you MAY be supporting digital...and a lot of the pre-cut stuff is cut with a program and a laser.

So, there.

lee\c

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I would think that anyone that hates to do something is probably doing it wrong......

HAHA!
    hi!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin