Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,759   Online: 861

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    HAHA!

What is that supposed to mean? Sometimes I am dense beyond hope.

lee\c

Images
    I use the same method of measuring and cutting my mattes, so I am doing them "right", I still hate doing it. That's all
    hi!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I see...well, thanks for the haha. My time is more plentiful than my bank account. Plus here in Fort Fly-Over, Texas, no one takes as much care as I do for my stuff.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think anyone is "An Idiot" for buying pre-cut mats (I just checked my Funk and Wagnalls - the first spelling given is "Mat": n. 1. A border of cardboard or other material, serving as the frame, or part of a frame of a picture. Also spelled Matte).

I do use non-standard dimensions for mats- depending on the aesthetic effect on the work. I am contemplating one image on the wall of my studio ... cropped to about 5" x 12" (12.7 cm x 30.0cm) - a vertical -- matted with an opening of 7" x 14" (17.8cm x 35.5cm) in a 16" x 20" frame (oh, ... the hell with it..).

I don't particularly LIKE cutting mats - but they ARE "another tool in the box", and I can use all the "tools" I can get.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Ed, mat cutting is just another tool. I'll use a precut if its handy and it fits but I'll cut my own in a heartbeat just for the convenience of not having to deal with anybody else to get it. Especially when I do a wierd "creative" crop or mount a square print. For some reason square cut mats just never show up in the precuts I browse through in my area.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always thought about buying a good cutter and doing them myself, but I don't overmat that many prints. On the occasion that I sell a print to someone, I include the cost of having the mat cut. I have a framing shop in town that orders the board I like and keeps it on hand. They usually do my cutting, and let me use the old dry mount press for free as long as I buy board and other supplies from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I printed every image to the same size then I would definitely by pre-cut mats, but as I don't I have already saved back the initial cost of the mat cutter instead of buying pre-cut mats. I can cut a full mat in under five minutes, w/ very minimal measuring and have it look like those you buy. The emory board is there if I make a slight mistake. I also use an Alto mat cutter. It's a very different design where the guide where you cut is moved according to how much of a border you want on your window in 1/8" increments up to 8". I like to measure ahead of time to make sure everything is kosher, but you can actually cut w/o measuring anything. It came with a movie about mat cutting if anyone wants to borrow it (just PM or email me): http://www.dickblick.com/zz171/03/pr...amp;ig_id=1037

It really is foolproof and a very cheap way to get into mat cutting. I purchase my mats already cut down to 11x14 (I'm printing 5"x7" and smaller right now) and then <5 minutes to cut the window.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Images
    This topic offers an interesting chance to see how many of us compose to the format that we shoot and how many tend to alter the aspect ratio of their prints to favor the composition of the individual image. I am purely guessing that most photographers aren't 100% exclusive but still tend to heavily lean one way or the other.

Personally, I naturally try to compose within the camera that I am using while shooting but I have no hesitation in the darkroom to band in my easel to make the print format suit or support the subject. I would estimate that I am fairly close to 50/50 but may print somewhat more in non-standard aspect ratios than standard.

To relate this to the topic at hand, It would be impossible for me to commit exclusively to using pre cut mattes despite their substantial convenience benefits and, being way too cheap to pay someone to cut custom mattes for me, I just gotta cut 'em myself.[/b]
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't think anyone is "An Idiot" for buying pre-cut mats

Ed,
    I never said anyone was "An Idiot", but what I did say was I thought maybe they were doing something wrong and that made the experience not a pleasant one. This is a personal discission and I happen to like doing it. I would not want to do it everyday all day but I am that way about a lot of things. If it is called work then it is not fun. I like fun.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lee, Ed was referring to the initial post, above the poll.

You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin