Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 793

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I don't think anyone is "An Idiot" for buying pre-cut mats
    Ed,
    I never said anyone was "An Idiot", but what I did say was I thought maybe they were doing something wrong and that made the experience not a pleasant one. This is a personal discission and I happen to like doing it. I would not want to do it everyday all day but I am that way about a lot of things. If it is called work then it is not fun. I like fun.
    Huh???? I never said anyone was "An Idiot", either!

I was trying to expand a tad on my answer. The survey statement was:

"You are an idiot for buying pre-cut mattes."

The choices given were:

Yes.

No.

Yes, but not for that reason.

What's a pre-cut matte?

That third choice is puzzling... "You are an idiot ...": "Yes, but not for that reason"?? > Doesn't that equal "You are an idiot, whether you buy pre-cut mats or not?"

Anyway, everyone is free to do whatever they choose to do. Buy them precut, cut their own, not use mats in the first place, make paper airplanes out of their prints and hang them from the ceiling, if they want to... ... Frankly, I don't give a damn what someone else does.

I happen to cut my own - not that I am fanatically addicted to cutting mats ... nor do I dislike cutting them. Again, I view the configuration of the matting as another "tool in the box".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sorry Ed, I took that comment at face value and forgot about the survey title.

my bad,

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree that matt cutting is close to purgatory, so where possible I buy mine ready cut.

For those in the UK can I recommend Mr Carter.

http://www.cartersmounts.co.uk/

His prices workout very little more than the street price of the card. He cuts to order, so you specify card finish and sizes.

When I have to cut my own I use a Mountmaster cutter, it gives bevelled edges and a good finish.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    .. I took...
    No problem!

It has been said that 80 - 90% of our communications are non-verbal - so, in a situation where we cannot see one another we are prone to a lot of misinterpretation.

Given the choice of risking misunderstanding or silence, I choose "risking".

We here, as near as I can figure, are all passionate people ( YAAAAY!!!) and many of us have learned hard lessons, of which we tend to be somewhat overprotective.

I can only hope that MY (n.b. "MY") reactions are not so intense as to inhibit anyone else's.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

I don't wanna bother with cutting mats. And I need square mats for prints from my 6x6cm negs. Nobody I've been able to find offers precut square window mats, whether on square boards or rectangular. It's always a special order.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mattes are hell. Period.

One of my finals was printed on acetate. I ideally wanted to do the thing as gumprints on glass, but you know lacking the 6 month learning curve, I had to go for dXXXXXl output here.

Anyway I wanted to approximate stained glass, so I needed a front and back matte to sandwich the acetate and the velum between (the velum to act as a diffuser).

So I thought, "I'll learn to cut my own..."

They say the thumb is grafting to the stump nicely now.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Lex:

For about $14 you can get some square 8 ply mats from B&H. Only problem is that they only off 8x8.

Thanks, Andrew. Didn't know B&H offered those. I usually print right at 8"x8" and 8-ply mats are gorgeous.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I checked at Superior Archival Materials and I believe a 2-ply mount, 8-ply overmat and the charge for having the mat cut all worked out to just a little over $12 per mat if I order at least 25. Thats not bad when you consider the quality of the cut mats and the fact that there are few things in life I hate as much as cutting mats.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin