Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,019   Online: 689

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is interesting, as the last time i talked with Superior they sell 8 ply board but they would not cut windows. However, that was last year sometime. I will have to call them back; hopefully they have changed their postion. I use a lot of 8 ply windows and can't do those . Have been using Light Impressions as they are one of the few people who cut that ply and believe it or not it is cheaper than having them cut locally. The last time I did research in this area was last year this time so it may appear that I need to revist this issue.

Depending on my mood I may cut or not cut 4 ply . The outer dimensions are usually consistent, the windows will vary as the print size may vary depending on subject matter and how I want it too look.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [quote="ann"]That is interesting, as the last time i talked with Superior they sell 8 ply board but they would not cut windows. quote]

Ann,

You're right about Archival Materials. I had been looking on their website and planning to place a order for 8-ply. After reading your post, I called them and they said that they did sell 8-ply but did not cut opening for it. Oh well, back to Light Impressions I guess.s

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    rats!! I am planing on buying some boards from them as i want to give them the business and have heard so many good things about the board. Will definitley buy the back boards . thanks for saving me a phone call )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went down to see Lee in Ft. Worth and he showed me how to cut a perfect mat in about 5 minutes. It seemed pretty simple: Have a good mat cutter like Lee has, take your time to measure correctly and have a workman like attitude. I feel that anytime you approach a task with fear or frustration on your mind it will always be a struggle to complete it to satisfaction. So either change your attitude or buy the right tool to fit your temperment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the recommendation, everyone should visit Lee and learn the secret ways of the mat-cutter... "overcut edges are bad; Logan, you are my mat cutter, the power is strong in this 8-ply"
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Lee here..he gave me the same short course..and Jim has it right, instruction from Lee and the right equipment. Even with a cheaper Logan I have been having very good luck cutting mats after my visit with Lee,

Lee, Thank You Sir..

now where can you find a mat cutter like yours....
    Mike C

Rambles

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Dick Blick sells mat cutters and if you do a Google search for mat cutters you can find the best prices.

lee\c

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    cutting windows is not hard. At one time I had a very high end mat cutter, and hated it. recently sold it as i never use it. A logan hand cutter, good metal ruler some clamps, a shelf healing mat and it is easy. Just measure twice, and turn the board counter-clockwise. a little practice and away you go.

I do understand that some people shy away from cutting their own, and at times i have some cut. Lazy , lazy, lazy. However, since i really do like 8ply windows i have been "forced" to have them cut commerically.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have never tried to cut an 8 ply board. I am not sure the Logan I have will cut it.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ann,

What is a good source for having 8 ply board windows cut? I was going to have Archival Materials cut them till that plan got shot down.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin