Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,761   Online: 1264

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been using Light Impressions. Believe it or not, they are cheaper than a couple of local shops. Sam Flax's charges almost 45 dollars for a 16 x 20 board with a window and that does not include the back board.

I would have to double check but i know that Light Impressions was much cheaper. I usually wait until they have a special and order a bunch at a time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I just check the Light Impressions website. $12.71 for a 16x20 8-ply vertical, $18.34 for a 16x20 8-ply horizontal, Exeter board. I know its something simple that I'm missing but I still haven't figured out why the horizontal window cost nearly $5.50 more than the vertical window, same 16x20 size board, same 8-ply, both Exeter board.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't answer that question and i don't order on line so i haven't compared.Perhaps it is an error , I would call and ask. However, i have mine custom cut and the price is for the cost of the board , plus 5 dollars for the window. The total is 11 plus s&H. I never order just one. so the window price goes down to 4.50 and even less dedending on how are cut. Westminster board is a little more expensive. $14.oo. These prices are out of the catalog. The Oct. 2003 catalog as the new one is at the lab, but i will check it out. prices may have gone up a bit; but i have never paid more for the same window going in another direction.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheryl,

You wrote: "I buy 'em pre-cut. I'd rather brush my teeth with a pitchfork than cut mattes. 90% of my mattes right now are 16x20 with a 10x10 window."

Do you orientate the 16x20 vertically or horizontally?

ka

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    Cheryl,

You wrote: "I buy 'em pre-cut. I'd rather brush my teeth with a pitchfork than cut mattes. 90% of my mattes right now are 16x20 with a 10x10 window."

Do you orientate the 16x20 vertically or horizontally?

ka
    Light Impressions allows a discount for photographers if the order meets certain guidelines. I believe that the initial order must be greater the $750.00 and more then $750.00 annual purchases. The discount is fairly sizeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a copy of B&W magazine there is a code for 10% off your first order from light impressions in the magazine.

Check the magazine for the code first if this is a reason to purchase as this offer is not in every issue!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    last week i placed an order with light impressions for some windows and told my account rep about the difference in price for v vs h. She indicated that was not correct and she appreciated the input so she could get with someone to find out what the problem was and correct it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeremy a quick trick. If you have access to a college or a college professor who gets the light impressions catalog monthly, they have the code on the back of their issue. I have used that many times.
    Non Digital Diva

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I use both, but would rather buy precut ones. Time is precious, I'd rather spend it photographing or working on prints. Matte cutting is really boring if you ask me.
    I agree completely with this sentiment. Not to mention the space and hassle required to store a reasonably varied stock of 30x40 boards. I just order mine custom cut, usually from light impressions. It's not cheap, but like bmac I'd rather do something I feel is rewarding rather than merely tedious. And besides, I have a set of frames, mattes, acrylic windows, and foamcore backing that I reuse for display, so I don't often buy additional ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Currently I have not deleted this months emailing of sales items from Light Impressions. I just noticed it was for 15% off any order before the end of the month. So if anyone wants to get future discounts that is another way to get them, by signing up for their sales emails.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin