Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,201   Online: 1011

View Poll Results: You are an idiot to buy precut mattes

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.89%
  • No

25 55.56%
  • Yes, though not for that reason

9 20.00%
  • What's a pre-cut matte?

7 15.56%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm pathetic, I know. I can't be trusted with a matte knife.

I'm looking for a good source of pre-cut matte boards in 35mm/6x9/1::1.5 aspect ratio. There's no shortage of 4x6-carrying mattes, but what I'm looking for is a good choice of, say, 6x9 inches for 8x10 or 11x14 mattes, up to around 12x18 or 11x17.5 for 16x20 mattes.

Any suggestions?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    These guys can custom cut overmats for you, and supposedly their boards have amazing archival abilities:
    http://www.superiorarchivalmats.com/sam/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Light Impressions has many common sizes in good matte board, though I think they are more like 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 openings if I remember correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe American Frame also offers precut mats in "standard" sizes, and can also cut to your specs.

www.americanframe.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aggie what tool do you use to cut mats with, and would you consider it to be 'gallery quality' cuts? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, I'll look into that device, should save a lot of money. Do you know if there is a problem with dry mounting an 8x10 to 11x14 board, then overmatting with a slightly larger overmat? Is that asking for trouble?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh forgot if you do your own cutting get a tool called a bone. if you cut too deep in the corners, you can use it to rub on the corner and you can usually make it (the cut mark) dissappear. Also get a few white emery boards. If the cut has a bit of a ragged look, you can use it to gently smooth it out. And make sure your hands are freshly washed and dried before you handle the boards. they tend to pick up things fast. Also clean the surface you will have your mat cutter on before you start. Same thing you don't want you nice clean matt boards to pick up stuff. Get a white eraser, not the kneaded kind. and if you do have some marks or you want to erase the pencil marks from measureing on the back, you can do it gently with it.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I have been working at cutting my own mat for a while now. have a smallish logan, but it seems to do the job, just keep having little problems. Aggie, how often do you change the blade? It seems to me that makes the largest difference when cutting - next is finding the correct spot and then not running over, and not stopping to soon. Anyone know of a how-to site or video?
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin