Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,993   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Exposure through Facebook?

A photographer recently recommended that I have a page on Facebook as a way of drawing attention to my photographs. I have mucked around the site a little bit but feel a little lost.

Before I spend the time to really understand the site, I am interested in knowing about other APUGGER's Facebook experiences. Do you have a page there? Does it draw attention to your work? Do you recommend other sites as being even better?

Thanks for any feedback you care to share.

Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't find Facebook to be anything but a waste of time. People tend not to seek others on Facebook; it's all about ME. They post pictures of and messages about themselves and hope that it will interest YOU enough to go and pay attention to them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What f/stop? For what part of a second?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I've found facebook quite useful, and have become reacquainted with some former high school friends, and have found a strong network of photographers there. It's an easy way to let people know when you have shows or projects ready to share. I think some photographers create their own groups, so that clients can follow what they are up to. There are some institutions on there, galleries, museums, etc., and it's good to see the events that they are planning.

I haven't really used it for marketing, specifically, but it can help build an online "presence" for you. It's a good idea to keep your "status" reasonably professional, imho. That said... I direct people to my site and blog to see my work... I don't like their copyright policy with regard to pictures uploaded to the site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used Facebook as a way to announce my own work as well as creating a fan base for Fraction Magazine.

I have also used it to contact photographers who I admire and have been quite surprised by the number of "big name"
    artists there

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use facebook to catch up with long lost friends who are also there. I don't poke or mafia or any of that. I post cell phone pics of friends and whatnot. I save my work for my own personal website.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I have used Facebook as a way to announce my own work as well as creating a fan base for Fraction Magazine.

I have also used it to contact photographers who I admire and have been quite surprised by the number of "big name"
    artists there
    If you want to be know and want to create a fan base, then what is the logic of having your location as "None of your business"?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've only really used it to show friends what I do. I also don't like their copyright policy, and all images that get uploaded end up horribly compressed and look pretty bad.

I mainly use it for keeping up with people and showing/seeing photos myself and others put up when we go on trips away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan,

I have found it very positive on many levels. Having yet one more way of communicating can have its drawbacks as well, but on the whole I think it can be a very useful tool. Go for it... and look me up friend!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it mostly to stay connected to old friends and my cousins (also friends). My website is listed in my profile and a couple of people have checked it out from there - one even bought 2 photos - . I don't particularly like their new format, but that may change again. I don't post many photos there - just snapshots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin