Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,023   Online: 888

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Re-mounting slides

Howdy,

I just got a few slides developed today (35mm on Sensia) and I have a cracking shot that I would like to enter in my local camera clubs comp.

But there are 2 problems (& both are probably due to bad habits picked up shooting digital )

1. The Horizon is not straight
    2. The shot was done in portrait mode, but I would prefer it to be a bit more square

This slides were mounted in plastic holders. What considerations should I take into consideration in re-mounting them? Should I just rip the holder apart and trim the sides of the neg so I can get the horizon straight? What would be the best method in cropping the image so I can get it how I want?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heresy, I know, but unless the competition requires original slides, I'd get it scanned, then crop and straighten the scan as needed, and get an RA-4 print made. The hybrid mini-lab machines don't care if the original is a negative or positive.

If you must enter a slide you can get it duplicated, with the desired cropping.
    Cutting the original slide is an irreversable process, and if you're entering slides, a cropped original done by cutting will look strange next to full frame entries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are printing no need to remount, just use the paper size you want, adjust the projection from the enlarger to fit, and "Straighten" the shot by turning the easel in the enlarger.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, this is not going to be printed. Its going to be projected, hence why I want to get it right in the mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In that case, the best way would be to copy it or have it copied and do the adjustments when it is re-shot. if the straightening is really slight, you might be able to adjust it enough in remounting it. The mount does hide part of the image area, but not very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I might find a dud slide first and see how I go with that before attempting this one.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dutching the camera is artistic. Tell them you meant it that way.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin