Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,255   Online: 812

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recently saw the results of study that showed no difference in the selling potential between editioned and non-editioned prints. I agree, that if you're editioning, a maximum of 25 prints and a few APs are the limit. Nothing looks dumber than a mediocre unknown showing a 2 of 200 print. I've been in some shows where the gallery specifically requested editions and I normally do it, but I'd like to move away from it--just so I don't have to keep any records. I don't make more than a few prints up front--I'm a terrible predictor of what actually sells.
    Last edited by Barry S; 04-16-2009 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thing that I find most annoying with printing an edition run is, after, say 10 prints of a particular image which I'm really pleased with ..... I'll look at the prints several weeks later and be unhappy with them, then return to the darkroom and reprint them much better. Then the same thing happens again .... and again !!
    Considering it could take me several days to produce a fibre print from start to finish - when you take into account all the washing, toning, drying, flattening, mounting, framing etc....... I'd have to charge silly high prices just to break even !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sar-photo View Post
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of debate I was hoping for!

I like the idea of limited editions as it makes me think my work is important and may be worth a lot of money in the future! But then again, who am I kidding? (don't get me wrong, I do value my work very highly - but that doesn't mean that others will).

So maybe I should just sell what I sell - each print will be signed and numbered but there will be no cap on how many will be produced. Then if I do happen to be represented by a gallery in the future, any new images can be printed in limited editions if neccessary.

Cheers
    Simon
    Simon

which ever way you decide to go, may I wish you well with your exhibition, and be sure to list it here in the Forums.

I think that having your own exhibition is probably the most frustrating, while at the same time, rewarding thing you can ever do. I would say that all the hard work and worry that goes in to it in the weeks/months prior to the show, are rewarded with the knowledge that each and every person who puts their nose up to the glass of one of your framed images, has made a very conscious effort to be there. And even if you do not sell one photograph,(though I am sure you will) the comments and feedback alone make it all worthwhile.

Best

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone tried the novel approach of a limited edition...of 1....and include the negative with a hole in the center? Price: what the market will bear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by glaiben View Post
    Anyone tried the novel approach of a limited edition...of 1....and include the negative with a hole in the center? Price: what the market will bear.
    Let's not go there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glaiben View Post
    This approach seems counter-intuitive to one of photography's inherent features; that there is the potential to make many prints from one negative.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SNIP SNIP SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    One suggestion: Shoot wet plate collodion or daguerreotypes and your edition worries are over.
    you said it kerik!
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    The ArtShow Forum has discussed this topic in-depth….

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, I'd rather not make limited edition prints because then I'll not be able to use the image in any other way (e.g for a greetings card or stock). But there seems to be a fair bit of pressure to make limited editions...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Unlike drawing, painting, and many other visual art forms, photography has the advantage of almost unlimited prints of each image. This makes it a people's art. I'm with the people rather than with the merchandisers who prefer restricting beauty to a wealthy few. Limited editions hobble the photographer. My soul is not for sale to the galleries.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin