Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,965   Online: 892

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Finally...a website I can be proud of?

I had built a web site that could not have looked less proffessional and closed it down 6 months ago. Anyway, I have worked for the last three months to develop a new one, and though there are obvious imperfections, I am much happier with the outcome this time.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get to improve on it, so if you can take the time I would appreciate it...and you might get to see some nice pics along the way

www.kal-khogali.com

Rgds, Kal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good here. Clikpic do some pretty neat templates - and I tend to prefer the more minimalist examples, like yours.

Nice pics too :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. I definitely like the simple format and the slide show functionality offered....and thanks about the pics ;-) Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the minimalism, very nice and easy to navigate.

Looks good on Mozilla Firefox.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kal,

Generally it's looking fine, and the website setup is very clear and functions smoothly. Good you included a slide-show function as well! That is usually my first critic on photo websites, personally I don't like to have to click through sets of potentially hundreds of photos individually, rather see it with slide show.

Just two minor points:

- I noticed you show a description at the top of the photos that appears as soon as you hover the mouse over it. However, the text is often difficult to read, since it is a medium grey transparent background with transparent dark grey text, often partially covering the photo (especially with vertical ones). You might wish to change either transparency, color, or placing of these descriptions.

- I noticed at some places (like the print sales section), you seem to use a different font or a non-bold type font, that doesn't look as good and "thin-ish" as the other written texts / fonts. You might wish to change this to something more closely matching the other fonts.

EDIT:
    I now noticed this seems to be especially the case in my FireFox 3, in my IE 8 the texts look better, although still different.

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 04-30-2009 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys! I really apprecite the time you are taking and the advice.

Yes, Marco, I had noticed the description issue too...that was one of the imperfections I was talking about in the original post. Haven't worked out how to change the placement, though the background and text are changeable, so I will play with that. I am keen to have a slightly more professional print sales page, since the offering of both digital and silver gelatin is quite broad...maybe a table...still working on that.

Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all, I have updated the website with the comments raised (link is below). I would also be interested on your views on a comment that a friend raised. Are there too many images on the website? Should I be reducing the number within each portfolio gallery, or is it OK as it is. Alternatively, I could create a "Best of" Gallery...All comments appreciated.

Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Kal,

Personally, I don't have any issue with the number of photos, especially since they are quite well organized in galleries. I personally like to see a bit more than just 5 photos or so on a photographer's website

Nice how you solved the issue with the descriptive texts for the photos, works well this way!

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like your website, nicely done. Excellant photos.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are lots of images. Some might not like that, but you have split them into enough subgalleries to make it manageable. I would forget the 'best of' and edit more harshly if you feel there are too many shots..... or else bunch larger groups of older work into 'archive galleries', and keep the ongoing projects on the surface of the feature galleries. It is up to you of course.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin