Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,025   Online: 813

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Simple, really. I have just started printing and I don't know how to name my process. I'm printing on simple RC paper. Is this silver gelatin printing or what? What do I call it?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's silver gelatin on RC paper.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Why thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Chris, if you are marketing your prints as "fine art", may I suggest that you selenium tone them? It really makes a difference in their longevity. Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, dear Lord. First of all, I'm a beginner so I would not be so insulting as to market anything I do as fine art. And secondly, if I here one more artist refer to their OWN work as 'FINE ART' I think I'll shat my shoes.

That being said, (sorry) I'll get around to toning perhaps. Just getting going for now. And in one of the print exchange forums it stated to tell what type of process you were using and it occurred to me that I did not know something so simple. Do now, though.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just say "Gelatin-silver photograph on resin coat base" and you would be 100% correct.

The ultimate classification of art media boils down to what medium on what substrate. Everything else is hype of one sort or another. A particularly egregious modern example is the "giclee print" which in truth is no more that some kind of machine ink on some kind of paper.

Don't be too coy about "fine art". If you made the work, and it was done as good as you can do, and it was done to create aesthetic value rather than illustration or commerce THEN it is as good a piece of fine art as anyone has ever done.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, thank you, Maris. I may consider your words. I will. Can't say I'll change my mind. But I'll think about it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin