Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 908

Harrogate, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Shooter
    Large Format

Damaged prints....help

Hi there,

I have just received some long awaited prints (on Fuji photographic pearl paper). Unfortunately the postman has made a 15" wide cardboard envelope go through a 14" wide letter box.

As a consequence, the prints are kinked along their top edge.

Aside from claiming against the Post Office, has anyone ever successfully removed kinks by ironing, pressing or any other means.

I wondered about mounting on card with spray mount....

Thanks
    Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You definitely can't iron RC pearl paper. It sounds like you're out of luck. If the bend isn't enough to cause the little wrinkle in the surface you can sometimes work out the bend by pushing back with a blunt object on the backside. Or if there is not a definite fold or wrinkle mark you might be able to work it out by dry mounting finished prints or mounting on a card with spray mount... and rubbing the bent area down.

You could always get another pack of the same paper and then use the bent pack to cut up for tests. It is of some use that way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

He got prints, not paper. You might try simply placing them between two books if they're not superficially damaged.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smales View Post
    Hi there,

I have just received some long awaited prints (on Fuji photographic pearl paper). Unfortunately the postman has made a 15" wide cardboard envelope go through a 14" wide letter box.

As a consequence, the prints are kinked along their top edge.

Aside from claiming against the Post Office, has anyone ever successfully removed kinks by ironing, pressing or any other means.

I wondered about mounting on card with spray mount....

Thanks
    Steve

Steve

What is the material, RC, FB? I have successfully removed kinks from FB prints by soaking them for about 20 minutes in water, but I have a dry-mount press to get them flat after that. If you don't have this equipment, it might not work for you unless you find a local framing shop that does.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin