Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 855

Thread: NSF alias?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

NSF alias?

A friend emailed me this afternoon saying that he was entering a photograph in a show. He does not intend to sell the entered photograph, but wants to convey to viewers that he is willing to produce a copy for a prospective buyer He thinks there is an acronym that conveys this information (similar to NSF but not so final), but cannot remember what it is. I told him that I would post the question here, where everything worth knowing can be learned...

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting question. I've worked in galleries in the past, and have not seen an alternative anacronym. "NFS" is typically what's labeled for the presented image/graphic. One might consider indicating that the print is an "A/P - NFS" (Artist's Proof - Not For Sale), and in following parentheses explain that additional images may be printed upon request, or something to that effect -- without the commitment of establishing a limited edition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IDITSTEPBWTCTVTIAWTPACFAPB = "I do not intend to sell the entered photograph, but want to convey to viewers that I am willing to produce a copy for a prospective buyer." Other than that, I don't know.

All this really translates as is "unlimited edition"; something that is made to order instead of made in a limited run ahead of purchase. In this case, a simple price will suffice. People don't expect to walk out of a show with THE EXACT piece from off the wall. If he really feels that it is necessary, he can give instructions to the gallery not to sell the piece off the wall (though it is NOT necessary to state this, as it is a given, unless talking about "vintage" or "one-of-a-kind" prints).

A better route, IMO, would be that if he really thinks the piece might sell, make a limited edition of five prints, and give them to the gallery to keep stored in back. As a buyer, that would be a lot less cheesy and more valuable to me than an unlimited edition that is not printed until it is ordered, IMO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-16-2009 at 07:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    andrewh973's response is a sensible one, but I wonder what's wrong with straight forward language? Why not something like: "This exhibition print is not for sale. Subsequent prints are available from the photographer. Please inquire." I suggest this because buyers may not be certain what the initials stand for (as I wasn't, either, at first), and, eager to embrace the path of least resistance, will quickly move on. Best of luck with a workable solution.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put on mine "Limited Copies Availible" Seems to work well for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin