Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,217   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

showing panoramic print

u have a hard time to figure it out how to frame panoramic images with matt board. i shot 8*20 and try to find the right size matt. Any suggestion?
    Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy complete sheets then you can cut your own. I'm slightly undecided how to mount &frame the prints from my 6x17, at present I plan to put then in 20x16 frames and current prints are just under 5"x15".

However I think that as I'm going to be exhibiting them along side images shot 6x6 and 5x4 (also 10x8) again in 20x16 frames I might have to increase the siz, as they may look out of balance, and then get some new frames made, I like at least 2" of mat between image and frame.

You have a fixed print size so why not go buy some cheap card and cut a rough matt template & see what size works best, I'd start around 13½"x25" that's allowing 2½" margin with an extra ½" at the bottom, but you might want wider.

Ian

13 x 25 for convenience size. 16 x 28 for exhibition or hanging on the wall.

Michael A. Smith

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pateeid View Post
    u have a hard time to figure it out how to frame panoramic images with matt board. i shot 8*20 and try to find the right size matt. Any suggestion?
    Thank you
    You can cut your own as someone suggested, or buy at a discount from an online wholesale company such as mine. We carry 8x16 and 8x24 but not 8x20. We also do full custom just as other mat wholesalers will.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a matboard cutter; a good one. The cost of the matboard cutter will be amortized in only a small number of prints. Shortly you will be ahead of the game and that will encourage you to print more panoramas.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Cutting your own overmats is a tedious task. Superior Archival Materials (www.superiorarchivalmats.com) carries only the finest mat board and at best prices. And everything is custom cut. Underboard and overmats

Yes, I now have an interest in the company, which is being re-named "Lodima Archival Materials." And we are photographers, not just a business, so we understand truly what "custom" means.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael is right that cutting mats is a time consuming job, which is why framing can add up when getting ready for a show. I do a lot of large panoramics with cirkut cameras and otherwise. A lot of my recent work goes in 16x72" frames and if I had someone matt and frame, each piece would cost $600.00 in framing costs, so I do it myself. I use a 40" logan matt cutter, and can cut most any size matt with it, up to 110 inches long so far. I wish I could afford to let others do it but,,,,. Once you've cut a few matts you get pretty quick at it. Matting is just part of it too. then you have to buy make the frame, and frame it. I've been making my own frames, which takes longer than the matting. Save a LOT of money, but would rather be out taking photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree Jamie, my last exhibitions have been 60 or so prints and putting out the matt cutting just adds too much additional cost.

Matt cutting is relatively easy, in real terms it's not that time consuming when you look at it in context of the overall time it takes to mount & frame a print. Anything that can help cut the overall framing costs is without compromising quality best done yourself.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been making my own frames, which takes longer than the matting.
    jamie, can you describe the frames you make?

Thanks
    Curt

I have to cut my own mats, I could buy them but it cuts into the pocket too much, in college I used a straight edge and a Dexter mat cutter, now that is worse than typing up an English paper on an 1920 Underwood typewriter at 4 in the morning.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use a Dexter mat cutter and a straight edge, quick & easy - there's a knack

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin