Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1212

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ya... a new site

It is with much trepidation that I offer up my humble website for honest but gentle critique. It's a GooglePages site that will soon be ported over to Googlesites, so I'd like to get an idea what I need to improve when Google moves my site. It's been years since I've done any HTML coding, so it was fun looking through tutorials to coax the site into existence.

Well, here it is:
    http://tomoverton.images.googlepages.com

Opinions and advice are more than welcome.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love your infared work!

Personally, I would have gone with a slightly darker background color, but maybe that's just me... I always mount on black mat, never white, so maybe that says something about my personal preferences. :P

The brown color scheme works well, they compliment each other nicely.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nice stuff Tom! I'm partial to the cyanotypes in particular, but it's all nice. Well done.
    Rory

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, folks.

About a year or so ago, I signed up for GooglePages, which was free, but very limited in the way it presented your work. In that way, I suppose they aren't "real" sites... There are very few page templates, skins or colour schemes... Gadgets and buttons seem to work best when you chew on your lower lip ... You can't use flash or slide shows. The best I could do in that regard was hack a Picasa slide show onto one of my pages.

But... it's a site... I think I've finally gotten it together enough that it allows me to show my pictures in a way that doesn't make me cringe. Any feedback I get from this point will be most helpful in minimizing bugs and distractions and making the site more about my photos and less about the site itself.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers,

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellant work, I also like your infared photos!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good work, I like all your galleries the site is well put together and easy to navigate-
    Mark

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes - the infrareds are wonderful - nice site work!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Great news, Tom. It looks good. Pm me a little write up and I'll get it into the July issue.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, after a few comments by friends and family about some painfully obvious things I've overlooked :rolleyes:, I've gone back in with a hammer and chisel to rework a few things. Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate the time that you have taken to help me present my work in its best light. I'm still learning, but it's an enjoyable way to spend my time away from the darkroom.

Cheers,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin