Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,022   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For digitally printed images of 8x10 (actual image size), I charge 90Euros (about $120). I have yet to put any of my analogue images up for sale, but I would require at least twice the figure above (@ $240) due to the uniqueness and effort in making the print, and that is what I intend to charge. Those prices are matted and framed in a very basic frame...Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    usual mark up in a "store"
    is 3x the cost .. cost+overhead+profit= selling price.
    but that does not account for the time and effort you made
    in getting the image in your camera &C ...
    5x sounds reasonable.
    while tiberiustibz makes a good point to charge alot
    the economy stinks right now and people would probably
    buy something that doesn't cost and arm an a leg ..
    maybe just an arm ...
    there are a lot of people with "the looksies" who go to fairs,
    so don't be upset if you get a lot of people saying
    "wow, nice print, this is beautiful, you have a great eye"
    and they don't give you their wallet ...

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I won't make much, but I think I will start out at $38. It is costing me about $34 for the print. I know I don't make much but my goal is to start off by atleast selling a photograph. Hopefully, when my Ilfochrome is on the table next to all the homemade inkjet prints many of the others have, people will be drawn to it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I reckon you should at least charge a round figure, eg $40. An odd figure like $38 seems to suggest that a piece of your work is something that can be precisely valued down to the last dollar.
    Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Choose an image that evokes some emotion or looks cool and charge a lot.... Bottom line: if it's large, shiny, and interesting charge a lot.
    Amen, Amen, Amen.

The art market is NOT like a supermarket or Walmart.

Very often (most of the time I think) the buyer really doesn't know beans about art. She (and 95 percent of the time the buyer is female even if the check writer is male) wants something she connects with emotionally to hang on the wall and to show off to her friends.

The "show it off to her friends" part also often includes telling how much she paid for it with more expensive being much, much better.

I've seen many people over the years use obviously inferior photographers for weddings/portraits just because of the cachet of using the most expensive.

(Disclaimer - I personally am not in the portrait or wedding biz I speak from observation of my friends who are.)

Print 'em big, price 'em high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with nyoung, you are selling cheap is you price them at $75. This is not about a Made in China merchandise, or let's see who can sell at the lowest price, you are an artist and you are selling a part of your intellectual property.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Ektagraphic,

You're giving them away at $38. As for formulas, that is good for charging rent (machine time on a lathe for example). You are selling a finished product that has value completely separate from what it cost to make (the individual copy that is). Five years ago I was at a very large craft show in Chicago. An unmounted 8x10 in a plastic sleeve was going for $75 on the low end and $175 on the high end.

Good luck with your sales!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't devalue your work. If the price looks cheap then the product will be perceived to be cheap/low quality. $38 for an Ilfochrome seems crazy to me. If your print looks good amongst the inkjets then a higher price will not be surprising to potential buyers. I would sell for at least twice what you are looking for. I'd much prefer to sell 1 print for $100 than 5 prints at $30 each even thought they would earn me $150. The only time I would sell cheap would be to family and close friends.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    Don't devalue your work. If the price looks cheap then the product will be perceived to be cheap/low quality. $38 for an Ilfochrome seems crazy to me. If your print looks good amongst the inkjets then a higher price will not be surprising to potential buyers. I would sell for at least twice what you are looking for. I'd much prefer to sell 1 print for $100 than 5 prints at $30 each even thought they would earn me $150. The only time I would sell cheap would be to family and close friends.
    Your post raises the issue of how to deal with variable pricing for the same work, including whether currently marketed prints only be available at one price at any one time.

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think a lot of the people replying to this post have the wrong idea about photography, or if you concider photography an art form. You shouldn't be calculating down to the penny how much it costs you to create a print and how much the frame costs and the gas to drive from your house to the shop to get all your supplies.

If you are selling a piece of art the price should be determined by how much you think your work is worth. If your photo is just a gimmick and has no emotional value or artistic statement you should re-think your approach to the medium.

Charge what you think your work is worth, try to be modest about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin