Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,852   Online: 847

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selling Photographs

Hello- I have never sold a single photo that I took and the camera club I am a part of is going to a fair in August and I am going to bring along a couple of Ilfochrome prints I am having made. I know that the selling price of an 8X10 can vary from person to person and from subject to subject greatly, but if you currently have any 8X10 photos for sale, what are you asking? Thanks
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry that this doesn't answer your question. Where are you getting your Ilfochrome prints made and what is the cost?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ektagraphic

are they matted and framed ?

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I once sold an 11x14 of Bodie Island Lighthouse (printed by the local lab), print only for $40. Now that I make my own prints, if I were to sell one it would be for a bit more than that.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 06-14-2009 at 09:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Here is the formula for setting prices;
    5 times what the print cost you.
    Everthing else (ie film, matting, frame etc) is 20% over what you paid.
    Hope this helps.
    If you have any further questions on prices and would like to talk with me go to my website and leave an e-mail address. (www.jobvana.com/photographer-jrichardoswald/ )
    Rich

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is the formula for setting prices;
    5 times what the print cost you.
    Everthing else (ie film, matting, frame etc) is 20% over what you paid.
    But what if you printed it yourself? I don't know how to determine what a print costs me, between the materials used, travel expenses, my time, etc.

The old-standby answer to any such question should be 'whatever the market will bear'. Figuring that out would seem to be the trick.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I reason along the lines that I wish to be well compensated for a print I sell. I do print everything myself, though, and spend an awful lot of time on prints I sell, to make sure it's absolutely perfect (in my view) before it can leave the house.
    I sell my prints in an archival mat and bevel cut over-mat, they are archivally processed via a painstaking process. My current price for an 8x10 photograph is $250 this way. Not much by some standards, but I feel it's adequate for the work I put into it.
    If somebody asks to pay less, I always say no. I would rather give the photograph away for free as a gift to somebody I know would cherish it. I can tell I haven't sold more than perhaps 20 images in my photographer life.

I hope that helps.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It does take bit of time to figure out the small parts, materials, time etc.
    I'll try to help here.
    Travel= See IRS (I see you're in the US) code for travel deductions.
    Materials= devide the cost of the items by the number of items used. (paper pack cost $25.00 per 25, 1 is $1.00)
    Time is the hard one as I don't know what photographers charge per hour down there.
    Here is what I carge: $120.00 per hour to photograph and $25.00 per hour darkroom, touch-up (hand painting etc.)
    This all works out to about $15.00 for my cost, so I carge 75.00 (and up) for my photographs.
    The problem with using 'whatever the market will bear' is you get someone that has a 'D' camera and a home printer that thinks they are the greatest photographer on Earth charging $5.00 for there snaps, so people think you should to.
    Do not under sell your self!
    You are better then that...you are an artest.
    Rich

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pick a price that will sell. Choose an image that evokes some emotion or looks cool and charge a lot. People will not buy under-priced pictures. Price determines the attitude of the buyer. I like the 5 times the cost, especially with ilfochrome, though I doubt the 75 cent sheet of RA4 paper and 25 cents for film and chemistry justify a $5 pricetag for my 11x14 color work...

Bottom line: if it's large, shiny, and interesting charge a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it is a matted Ilfochrome that ends up costing me $30 with the matt....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin