Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,488   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Probably a dumb question, but

you guys should expect those from me by now

I've been keeping my 35mm negatives in Savage glassine sleeves. I've been labelling them with a black (and ocassionally silver, but that probably doesnt make a differnce) Sharpie. I've been labeling the top part of the sleeve just above the top of the negative, being careful not to write over the negative. Will Sharpie ink bleed through and damage color or black and white negatives? I'm getting tired of being super careful not to write on the neg, but I'll continue if that'll save the negative from sharpie contamination

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am not sure what the solvent is in the sharpies. As such I would avoid using them in this way.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm actually on a quest right now to find something that'll write on glassines. I've tried pencil, but it doesnt show up (or at least good enough for me to se well enough to use it).

Shooter
    35mm
    I just found a pen that I might start using. It writes fairly thick and sticks to the glassine well. Dries kinda slow, though. I think That might be a better choice.

The sharpie is just a standard permanent marker. I dont have one of the very fine tipped ones. It's hard to write small enough to not write over the negatives and still be albe to understand what's written next time I pull the negs out. this pen might be a better choice

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was going to suggest grease pencils but I haven't seen any fine-pointed ones.. not even sure if they exist.

I use these poly sleeves and end up sticking a small circular or rectangular sticker on it and then writing with a sharpie.

I've signed prints with a sharpie on the back. I haven't noticed anything yet and it's been about 9 years? 8 years? I'm not saying that writing with a sharpie will never lead to problems down the road but.. I still do it. Those ultra fine point ones are very convenient..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post

I've signed prints with a sharpie on the back. I haven't noticed anything yet and it's been about 9 years? 8 years? I'm not saying that writing with a sharpie will never lead to problems down the road but.. I still do it. Those ultra fine point ones are very convenient..
    The pen I'm using to label the negs I'm storing now has a tip similar to the ultra fine point sharpie. I dont know if a pen is any better or worse than sharpie.

The only negs I have in glassines right now are color, and I'm not as worried about them as I am my B&W negs since I scan my color (I dont have the patience for color darkroom work).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used archival pages for the negatives and write the information with a Sharpie along the information border provided for over five years and I have had not problems. The pages are stored in three ring binders.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have used archival pages for the negatives and write the information with a Sharpie along the information border provided for over five years and I have had not problems. The pages are stored in three ring binders.

Steve
    That makes me feel better. I do write on the half inch above the negs in the sleeves, so the negs should be safe. I was wondering if I wrote over the negs in the sleeves if the ink might bleed through and damage the negs in some way

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Staples had a Brother Label maker for $9.99 the other week. I just pop out a label that speaks to the subject, film, developer and dates. Same Multi-able rolls? Just hit the print button again. easy peesy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    My Staples had a Brother Label maker for $9.99 the other week. I just pop out a label that speaks to the subject, film, developer and dates. Same Multi-able rolls? Just hit the print button again. easy peesy.
    that's cool. I didnt even think about that. Maybe I'll grab one next time I'm st staples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin