Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,618   Posts: 1,622,791   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What to use to clean frame glass

howdy,

I am mounting up a few photos and have noticed that I have the glass horribly dirty.

What would be the best thing to use to clean the glass, that will not effect the image behind it? I notice that Ilfotol has directions for cleaning the glass on the bottle. Would this be the safest thing to use?

Cheers
    Last edited by hoffy; 06-25-2009 at 08:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i worked at a frame shop for some time
    and we used regular old glass cleaner ( like windex ).
    we also blew the glass with compressed air, and wiped
    the glass with newspaper.

have a clean cloth / towel to put the glass on .. clean one side, then the other.
    make sure the glass is completely dry before putting your mat or print against it
    or you will have problems ...

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Screen wash is very good for cleaning dirty glass, it's cheap too.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, that straight forward? I just wanted to make sure that what ever I use doesn't deteriorate the picture behind the glass.

Excellent

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    make sure the glass is completely dry before putting your mat or print against it...
    john
    I once saw some black spacing material (long narrow strips) for use under the concealed edges of a frame between print and glass--this would be especially helpful with some pieces I don't plan on matting--do you have a name/source for the material I'm remembering?

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

best,
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    I once saw some black spacing material (long narrow strips) for use under the concealed edges of a frame between print and glass-do you have a name/source for the material I'm remembering?
    These are not black (or maybe you saw clear ones that looked black because of what they were in front of?) but must be basically what you are talking about:

Econospace Spacers

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...temGroupId=559

is one source. Not cheap considering what they are (boils down to strips of plastic), but they can be cut to fit many frames, are convenient with the adhesive and are ph neutral for archivalality. I just made that word up.

I did some matt-less framing and used them, simply enough, they work (I'll take their word on the archival properties. I'll get back to you in twenty years if there are any issues!)

A quick web search shows some cheaper prices at less well-known suppliers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To continue the above thought:

http://www.frametek.com/HTML/Articles/FSvsES.html

compares Econospace with FrameSpace. That site sells both and has a lot of info. FrameSpace comes in black.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    ...http://www.frametek.com/HTML/Articles/FSvsES.html
    compares Econospace with FrameSpace. That site sells both and has a lot of info. FrameSpace comes in black.

Thanks! I'll get some. Saves a lot of trial and error with homemade solutions.

Best,
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Windex does work just fine, but if the humidity is low (dunno about Adelaide; at my house it is often below 20% relative) make a final wipe with a barely damp cloth just before sandwiching the glass and mount. You don't want to trap ammonia, etc. in the assembly, but you don't want to capture every bit of lint in sight due to the electrostatic charge generated by wiping. This is particularly true if you use acrylic instead of glass. Windex, at least, is conductive enough to suppress the problem for a short time.

One other thing---in a dry room, an air hose and a piece of acrylic make a fine way to collect a sample of the dust in the environment. Don't ask me how I know this.....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    an air hose and a piece of acrylic make a fine way to collect a sample of the dust ...
    Where lenses are concerned vacuuming is usally better than blowing to remove dust and isn't the framed glass a type of lens?
    "Get over it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin