Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,781   Online: 987

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I date prints I sell. Which is not many - I think my most popular has maybe 10 copies in existence. The time and material investment in producing an edition 'on spec' is not warranted. And I know that I will not want to reproduce a print exactly in a year or so to complete an edition. So my prints are naturally rare. When you add in the limited appeal of most of them ( 8-) ) they are *really* rare!

Photography is not my business, of course. It is therapy!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    mark,
    so how many prints do you sell?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    I date prints I sell. Which is not many - I think my most popular has maybe 10 copies in existence. The time and material investment in producing an edition 'on spec' is not warranted. And I know that I will not want to reproduce a print exactly in a year or so to complete an edition. So my prints are naturally rare. When you add in the limited appeal of most of them ( 8-) ) they are *really* rare!

Photography is not my business, of course. It is therapy!
    I think that generally, most photographers print their editions "on demand", as it would be unusual for all but the top-selling photographers to sell their entire edition in a single gallery showing, and most of us don't have the time, money, or space to produce an entire edition at one shot and store it until it sells out. Others chime in and correct me if I'm blowing smoke here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David, apropos our recent correspondence I see....

Following with interest.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    FC...mine are printed "on demand".

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    one or twenty or fifty or hundreds or thousands of prints from the same negative
    is the greatest gift and the greatest flaw of photography.

if fifty duplicates of the man ray's le cadeau ( the gift ) or his lampshade were
    made would they still be worth anything? at what point does it just become
    a commercial production ??
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-26-2009 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tend to the opinion that unless an edition is going to sell out within a reasonable time, then to call something a limited edition is simply marketing flim-flam. As such it is disingenuous.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    I tend to the opinion that unless an edition is going to sell out within a reasonable time, then to call something a limited edition is simply marketing flim-flam. As such it is disingenuous.
    I agree completely. As an artifice to gin up a false sense of "uniqueness" or "preciousness" in an inherently populist and reproducible medium, it smacks of photography's nineteenth-century battles against painting over its status as an art form.

But in the real world where art meets commerce, for those of you who have sold through galleries and/or had work purchased by "collectors", has this issue arisen? Do the galleries or buyers ask about it or "insist" on it?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought for sure there would have been more responses but maybe not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    But in the real world where art meets commerce, for those of you who have sold through galleries and/or had work purchased by "collectors", has this issue arisen? Do the galleries or buyers ask about it or "insist" on it?
    I've found that editioning is an issue. I sell my work to corporations, in galleries, and at art festivals. Prior to my newest work, I only numbered the largest size. While I sold unnumbered prints at art festivals, I can only think of one situation where I sold one to a corporation, or through a gallery. If your income is based on your photographs, limited editions are a good marketing tool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin