Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,475   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Are your prints in editions, if so why?

I know this has been discussed a lot but let's have a fresh talk about it.

I am wondering who does a print edition and why?

If you do, why?
    How many prints do you sell in a year?

Is the image limited or is the size, meaning Picture A is made only 20 times in any size or is Picture A made in various sizes, 20 times each?

If you do not edition, why not?
    Are varying sizes available, or just one?

thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes I do
    1) A--Because I don't want to make more than the number of prints in the edition (5 or 10, depending on the process). B--Because it is a good marketing tool if one does not want to make a large number of prints from a negative.
    2) Not many
    3) One size only (contact prints)
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likewise, yes I do sometimes.

1) Because I had people who would buy small editions of 6-12 prints. It's also a great way to show & present images.
    2) Not many at present, but up to 100+ prints a year in the past.
    3) One size only, a bit less than 10x8, usually 5-10 sets, the odd large print sets to order for Collectors, no restriction on the number of individual prints but would consider limiting the number of editions if I started selling more.

Having said that I haven't put any editions together for around 10 years, and plan to as soon as I have regular darkroom access. This is partly at the request of a Gallery curator.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe when I finish up my darkroom and get to the point where my pictures are good enough to sell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't, because i never make more than a few copies of each print.
    some prints i made only one copy of, and the negatives were disassembled
    or destroyed or changed ( got cold or hot and changed the physical properties of what i printed through ).
    i like things that are "singular"
    ( i do know that no matter how may prints are made from
    the same negative, none will ever be the same ... )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do, because of most of the reasons previously mentioned. It's good marketing, I'm now mostly a contact printer, so it's a one-size-fits-all deal, and I would get bored out of my mind re-printing an image endlessly. For enlargements, I do offer editions in more than one size, but I limit that as well, for the same reasons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. I originally started off making 10 of each of each size which ended up being in the 100's for a series of work. It impeded so much on the time that I enjoy the most - photographing. I hate the production part and love the shooting process. Time creating is too precious, too valuable for me to get hung up on what is for me dreadfully boring. I have so many ideas and so little time to do the fun stuff, I want to keep moving. It's always a sacrifice one way or the other.

I keep a working copy and one final and send a separate series off for exhibition.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option is hand made books, I've made a few over the years and sold some of them as well.

I also produce one off archival exhibition sets, I think I have around 5 or 6 in storage (all have been exhibited), some framed but all matted etc. When I had a large 2 day exhibition 4 years ago at a Canal Boat Festival I made fresh prints even though 80% of the images were already in other exhibition sets purely because I needed a matching set made on the same paper, and sometimes I may print slightly differently to fit a sequence, that's also true with small editions. (While it was only a 2 day show in a large marquee it had more visitors than a city gallery would get in over a month & I sold a few prints).

The exhibition sets are all destined for museum/art gallery collections as many had public funding.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    If you do, why?
    I want to be selling originals not paper and ink.

How many prints do you sell in a year?
    Not many. That's the plan; lower volume, higher dollars.

Is the image limited or is the size, meaning Picture A is made only 20 times in any size or is Picture A made in various sizes, 20 times each?
    For me it's the image.

Look at it from the buyers POV.

If you were buying a print from me and knew there were only 10 in the world that rarity brings more value. As the number of prints for sale gets smaller, as the galleries sell them off, the price goes up.

If on the other hand, there were 10 16x24's, 250 8x10's, and "only" 1000 postcards and 2 magazines that will be using it... You get the drift I'm sure.

Are varying sizes available, or just one?
    Whatever I feel like.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do mine in editions of 1.
    It is meant to fun and not a production line and I wouldn't want to get caught up in the wheels on consumer capitalism

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin