Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,488   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New DSM Claryl framing glass - anyone experience with this?

Hi all,

I noticed there seems to be a new type of framing glass on the market, since 2008. It is called Claryl by the Dutch company DSM. It is supposed to have almost similar transmittance and anti-reflective properties as the high grade "museum-glass", just without the UV-protective coating (they seem to plan for another version with UV-coating as well).

http://www.dsm.com/le/en_US/claryl/html/home.htm

Due to a new type of production process, it is supposed to be considerably cheaper than the almost prohibitively expensive museum-glass.

Now that all sounds attractive, but does anyone have experience with this new type of framing glass? How does it compare to high grade museum type of glass, and does anyone know some actual prices compared to museum-glass?

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 07-17-2009 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very interesting. I've never liked the standard paper float picture glass as it often has a slight green tinge to it which sometimes ruins any subtle toning effects on black and white prints - it is very cheap though.

This stuff looks similar to 'Denglas' which is supposed to be totally clear due to the low (I think ?) iron content. It's ludicrously expensive though and last time I investigated it was around 7or 8 times the price.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    I've never liked the standard paper float picture glass as it often has a slight green tinge to it which sometimes ruins any subtle toning effects on black and white prints - it is very cheap though.
    Exactly my feelings, ordinary glass in most cases ruins viewing pictures. All great tones are lost...

Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    It's ludicrously expensive though and last time I investigated it was around 7or 8 times the price.
    Yes, that is most artists problem too, museum glass is just too expensive... If they really managed to get close in properties, but at a significantly reduced price (maybe 2-3 times ordinary glass???), than it would be extremely interesting.

It seems DSM is doing good business with it, as they opened up a second oven just to keep up with growing demand...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting, Marco. I work in a business that is half frame shop. I'll see if I can order some in to try. All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    grrr... I can't seem to find a US distributor. Anyone know if this is available in the states?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just sent them an email....I'll report back

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Just sent them an email....I'll report back
    Thanks, Mark!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, well, don't get overexcited, although I had read it was supposed to be less expensive than similar type of coated anti-reflective glass, it ain't cheap either...

I have now visited a shop here in town that has it. Yes, it looks good and has high transmittance and good anti-reflective properties. Unfortunately, the woman in the shop couldn't tell me the price, her boss is there tomorrow and he knows. She did warn me it was still expensive though, something confirmed by this:

I now dug up this FAQ from what I suppose is the UK distributor:

http://www.arqadia.co.uk/commercepor.../clarylfaq.pdf

Note the first sales note:

"By selling ®Claryl picture glass you are adding value for both you and the customer. By simply replacing 10sq meters of window glass with ®Claryl, you can earn up to an extra £1000."

And that's the extra price, so it still sells for over £100 / sq meter... does anyone of you have a comparative current price for other high grade coated framing glasses (e.g. ClearColour)?

And it is in this ad sentence they mention it's supposed to be cheaper, but is it?

"Similar products are more expensive and therefore not within everybody’s price range. ®Claryl offers such great value for money that many customers will treat themselves."
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And here's a interesting thread about the new Claryl glass on the Framers forum:

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Note the remarks about cleaning too, the woman in the shop mentioned they had difficulties cleaning it with their regular TruVue glass cleaner, but obviously, TruVue has a different coating, so their cleaning solution might not be so suitable for this new glass.

On the positive site about price, a remark from one of the posters there:

"First impressions are very favourable: lots of the benefits of Museum, but without the scary price tag!"

But I still would like to hear a real comparative price. What does ClearColour or TruVue cost per sq meter at the moment?

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 07-17-2009 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.lionpic.co.uk/catalog/Sch...ogard,376.aspx

A UK supplier of Schott Mirogard which I think is an equivalent product to the claryl.
    I believe Schott glass is a German product and is used in high end lens filters such as Heliopan and B+W ?
    Last edited by bill spears; 07-17-2009 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin