Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,506   Online: 709

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,
    I agree with glbeas, the autolaunch is interesting. We both know there is more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes (I'm a cat person, nothing intended)...anyway let us know how this works out. I would agree, that if you can do it all with html, and not have to buy any additional software, why do it.

Thanks for the update.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    He sent me the "tags" that are supposed to initiate the auto launch. I have not had opportunity to try this myself yet. However I do not doubt that this will work because I value this persons input.

From what I have observed. This would auto launch when the cd is inserted in the drive. From there the viewer would have the ability to manually select and access each of the galleries, individual prints, and other pertinant information. I think that this has appeal in a different way from a slide show. The big thing is that it brings the viewer into an active role. The easy way to describe this would be that it is akin to a website on cd.

I have Frontpage and so it won't be difficult for me to try this out. Perhaps in the next several days. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,
    I agree that this has a much greater appeal for several reasons. First of all all pages will have a more 'polished' look in my opinon. Second, you will have greater control, which I have not seen with the slide show programs. Looking forward to what you find out in the next few days, will see if any of the tech types I work with have any thoughts (now that is funny, these guys always have a couple of hundred ideas on how to do things..just tyring to pin them down is the hard part).

Thanks,
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mike,

I just looked over the files that were sent to me. There is an "autorun file" that directs to an index. I am just not sure at this point if the text in that file is the html "tag". I have sent a message to see if this is the "tag" so that I can begin researching this.

As I think about it there has to be an autorun command...all of the software installation discs have it.

This sure seems like a another way apart from the slide show. The slide show is neat...but if a gallery owner wants to look at a particular image for a longer time...then the slide show is limited in this respect.

What you find from your people will certainly be helpful.

I think that this is an excellent means to bring one's work to the awareness of "key" people. Websites are wonderful...but one needs to make the prospects aware of the websites existence first. Magazine ads can do that to a degree--but advertising can be costly. A cd mailing sure looks like another tool in the "marketing toolchest". The two cds that I mailed this morning cost me about $2.50 each including postage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very interesting. I went to google and typed in +autorun +download and got links to a number of interesting programs (shareware) that may do the entire thing. I have no connection to any of them.
    j

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have done CD portfolios with the final document being an Adobe Acrobat file. One of the good things about acrobat is the ability to combine, word, image and sound (if you want) to create a better experience for the viewer. Acrobat reader is required to read the file, but Acrobat reader is free and usually comes installed on computers.

There is an abbreviated version of one of my Adobe projects on the LensWork web site. From www.LensWork.com, click on the goodies link.

It's the Fifty project.

I will have some more of these on my soon to exist web site.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have veiwed your Fifty presentation Joe... very nice!

Donald, I was interested in this subject, so did some exploring and testing just now and have found a program that does exactly the minimum required (I was about to have a go at writing one before I found this one as the others I tried all had self promoting splash screens, which I didn't want!)

I've tried it out and it works fine...

Find it here : http://www.ashzfall.com/products/aut...owsercall.html

BTW, in the documentation it says you can rename the program file to something else, which I did. I called it "openindex.exe" just to indicate what it does when used in this context (it will open any program including passing parameters... read the doco for details)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks once again to everyone that has responded to this. Your help has been invaluable.

Donald Miller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin