Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,234   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi everyone,

I am having a dickens of a time creating a CD of my images for presentation.

I have a flat bed scanner capable of scanning at 1200 DPI, Photoshop Vs. 5.0, and a CD burner.

My scanner will allow me to scan in color and output jpeg only. In grayscale I can output as Bmap, Gif, and Tif. My version of Photoshop will only allow me to adjust sharpness, curves etc when I output as jpeg.

I have tried scanning both grayscale and color in resolutions of 600 and 1200 dpi. When I do this I output to a folder and then "tune" the image in Photoshop (with jpeg).

What happens when I output to my burner is that the image goes to hell. It has an appearance of an unsharp and grainy 35 mm image from ISO 3200 in Rodinal.

What am I missing here? If someone would be so kind and walk me through this process I would be most appreciative.

Along the same lines...what is the best digital format for images when one uses them for website presentation?

Thanks for your help.

donald...
    1. make sure that the nagative is flat when u scan it. on the table scanners there is not press to make it flat, and i guees u know what it means.
    i have the same problem even with the negative scanner. the negative carrier of the scanner is damaged and it cannot keep the negative flat. but i dont mind, cause i use the scans only as proofs. exemination is done only on the light table with x15 magnifier.
    2. tiff - is the best as far as i know. but note... when u scan u have to make the software of the scanner correct for u. test it. there are lots of functions in the scanner software. "curves, contrast, brightness etc etc"
    3. get a newer photoshop, if u really need to work on the files. no matter how good is your scanner or your negative, u have to give it appearance u want.
    4. for web - only afater finishing to work on the photos give it the function of "save for web". in that window, first insure the size of the image, and then if the size of file is too big, reduce the quality.

well that is from one who himself asks basic questions about digital ..lol
    victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, I wonder if you might need better scanning software. Some people like Vuescan from http://hamrick.com, but it doesn't work with all scanners. It's shareware, so you can download a trial version to see if it will work with your scanner.

That should allow you to scan directly into Photoshop by going File/Import/ - then selecting Vuescan as the driver. You should be able to scan as greyscale, make your adjustments, and output however you want.

Email me privately if you'd like.
    juan

Images
    Don, I just sent you a detailed PM.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Brian hasn't sorted you out, ask again... I won't repeat what he's probably told you...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure you are using a low compression ratio when storing the jpeg. High compression turns it all to mush. The option comes up when you save a file as jpeg either the first time or after a change and resave.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone for your insight and information. I have now gotten the images scanned and massaged in Photoshop so that they very nearly approximate the actual prints. My next question is this:

Is there software or a program that will allow me to make up a presentation on CD that is not just a bunch of separate images. In other words a presentation that would open and proceed through the following as an example...

1. Title Page
    2. Artists resume
    3. Index of portfolios
    4. Title page of each portolio(s)
    5. Individual images of each portfolio
    6. Sizing and pricing information
    7. Contact information

I have the full MS Office suite of programs...but none of them seem to do what I want. MS Front Page would seem to have the capability of linking but is written in HTML...would this be the way to do this? Most people would have a browser on their computer...maybe have the CD open with Explorer?...I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for you help.

Donald Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my understanding that Powerpoint will do this but I'm not so sure it would be appropriate for CDs to be sent out. A Java based HTML would surely do it and should work on nearly every PC you put it on. However my limited experience with it prevents any more than speculation on the matter. I'd be interested in what our Gurus onboard have to say about it as I have projects that would benefit from the same type of thing.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gary,

I tried Powerpoint this morning...perhaps I don't know enough about that program to determine what will or will not work...but it seemed to me that it still left the problem of a series of disparate pages on the CD. This did not bring the CD up to a "run" mode when a potential viewer inserted it in their drive. Additionally it seemed that in Powerpoint and Publisher the page on the CD needed to be opened by the same program on the users PC. This would seem to limit the application since the not all users may have these programs installed. It would seem a more universal "language" needs to be utilized. I am in the same frame of reference as you in that I am anxious to see how this will need to be done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don,

Check out this link, it may have what you are looking for.

www.graphicssoft.about.com/cs/slideshowswpc/
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin