Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,477   Online: 958

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This starving artist has been dismayed over the prospect of purchasing a dry mount press and has, until just recently, been using cold mount adhesive from 3M. The cold mount has worked on smaller fiber prints, but I am using heavyweight J and C paper now and printing larger. I have been racking my brain for a much cheaper alternative and have come up with one that actually works. I picked up a slab of polished granite ($20 cut to 15" x 19" x 1 1/2" thick) and this just fits in my oven. I heat the granite to 225 degrees then apply it to the print/tissue/backing board sandwich with a piece of cotton chamois between that and the granite. I then place a 45 pound dumbell on top of that and open a window to let the granite cool naturally. Voila! Works like a charm.

Any similar experiences out there?

Images
    So, the hot granite slab goes on top of the sandwich, with a weight on top of that? What goes under the sandwich? What if you need to do several prints in a session?

All in all, very clever!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doug, Move to Az. You can put a second slab on the cement outside. it will warm from below in the hot months (which is most months). For a weight you can sit on the top slab and get a tan at the same time. Ok, gonna find a corner to sit in.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Scott, As a charter member of the Cheapest Photographers in the World club, I offer you a membership. My membership application also included a dry mounting apparatus. I once used an old Hamilton Beach restaurant waffle iron. A surface thermometer showed it would reach about 220 and could be adjusted up and down about 15 dgrees for about 5 minutes before it would blow a circuit breaker. I could usually mount one print between trips to the electrical box. It worked pretty slick. one 1/8 piece of aluminium sheet on the bottom, another one screwed into the top plate and then put a weight on top to add some pressure. Worked up to 11x14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $9 clothes iron from Kmart.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eurika!!! what a clever Idea! I think I'm gonna try it.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    $9 clothes iron from Kmart.
    juan
    John,

I commend you on your frugality. However,Blansky will not be able to relate to us here since he married better the either you or I.

I think that Blansky has given up on some of the religions that he was engaged in...something about not being able to locate 72 virgins of suitable age in any one place on the North American continent. He considered moving to one of those desert countries but his wife raised the dickens...something about sand and thousand thread sheets. I understand that Blansky, after prolonged and careful consideration, agreed since he couldn't get his hockey skates to stay up on top of the sand even though the sand was softer then ice. The Koi thanked him....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a dry mount press but was watching my wife make some lunch in the sandwich maker/press the other day and my thoughts turned to.. wonder if that would mount a photo successfully! I should try it just because... a bit like the coffee developer... (I should add that I better try it while she's not watching!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    So, the hot granite slab goes on top of the sandwich, with a weight on top of that? What goes under the sandwich? What if you need to do several prints in a session?

All in all, very clever!
    Okay, from the table surface up:
    Foam core, backing board, dry mount tissue, photograph, cotton chamois, hot slab of granite, 45 lb dumbell. I put a thermometer on top of the granite and when it gets below 130 degrees, I remove the granite and put it back into the oven for another go. Cycle time for the entire process is about 1 hour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just how heavy is this lump of granite? It must me quite a challenge lifting out of the oven with oven mits on. I have enough trouble with a caserole dish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin