Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,200   Online: 962

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signing prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you use a pencil and not a pen or fine-tipped marker?
    Will ink damage the print?

Adam

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    Why do you use a pencil and not a pen or fine-tipped marker?
    Will ink damage the print?

Adam
    Maybe not, but a pencil is very archival, but the main reason is that a pen or a marker is too dominant. The signature should not 'fight' with the image. It needs to be 'quiet'.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always had a resistance to signing on the emulsion with any kind of writing instrument. Was always concerned that an ink would either fade, bleed, or even react with the emulsion. I guess a pencil is the safest option but have never tried it - how does it adhere to glossy FB ? I'm sure I heard once of a 'silver-safe' pen - think it may have been in a Silverprint catalogue some years ago. Be interesting to know if yhere is such a thing available ?

In my 'purist' efforts I did once go to the trouble of making up a lith negative with my initials on and actually contact printing this onto the paper. It was quite a faff though and often doubled the time in making a print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    I always had a resistance to signing on the emulsion with any kind of writing instrument. Was always concerned that an ink would either fade, bleed, or even react with the emulsion. I guess a pencil is the safest option but have never tried it - how does it adhere to glossy FB ? I'm sure I heard once of a 'silver-safe' pen - think it may have been in a Silverprint catalogue some years ago. Be interesting to know if yhere is such a thing available ?

In my 'purist' efforts I did once go to the trouble of making up a lith negative with my initials on and actually contact printing this onto the paper. It was quite a faff though and often doubled the time in making a print.
    Not on the print, never on the print. On the mount-board!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking at your picture Ralph it appeared that you were signing the white emulsion border on the actual print. I'm taking it the image doesn't have a print border and is printed full bleed, then drymounted onto board with the bevel on the overmat cut back from the edge of the paper ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use two mat levels [two or four layers each] and I sign the lower level.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, thats my method aswell lately

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    Looking at your picture Ralph it appeared that you were signing the white emulsion border on the actual print. I'm taking it the image doesn't have a print border and is printed full bleed, then drymounted onto board with the bevel on the overmat cut back from the edge of the paper ?
    correct
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a few of the methods of signing photographs that currently appear in my collection. These are not my methods, but some methods of notable photographers circa 1880-1925.

1. Pencil on mounting board, under bottom edge of photograph.
    2. Pencil on photograph directly, in margin under image.
    3. Same as above, but at a 45 degree angle to the photograph.
    4. Quill pen/Fountain pen directly on the photogragh.
    5. Quill pen/Fountain pen, very lightly written on mounting board and then written boldly and hidden underneath the photograph, only viewable if photograph is lifted.
    6. Inked seal stamps, multicolored, on mounting board.
    7. Colored paint/colored opaque ink applied onto the photograph directly, in a corner.

There are other methods of marking prints also, to include embossing, ink stamps on the back, logos inscribed in the negative, etc. But, all of the methods above have passed the test-of-time. I don't believe there are any resin coated type papers here. I think the nearest to that are the gelatin coatings, and in those cases the signatures appear as pencil on the mounting board, or ink directly on the photograph. Sometimes the markings can be found as written signatures only, written signatures plus the year, and personal logos depicting the photographer's initials or last name.
    Last edited by DannL; 09-04-2009 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added more verbs.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a wonder there isn't a marker pen that contains the same dye as spotting dyes ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin