Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,492   Online: 818

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Signing prints

Shooter
    35mm
    A friend of mine who has recently switched from analog to that other medium signs all his prints with a type of marker or pen that lays gold or silver looking ink? He signs his stylized initials (a sort of logo) in the lower right of the print itself, but very small and unobtrusive, unless you look for it in the corner. It seems from reading the above, this is probably not one of the more desirable ways, but in looking at his pics I didn't think the signature detracted from the image, but I'd never given much thought to signing photos.

I had only ever signed them lightly on the back with pencil, and near and edge so it would be where the print border is if on the front. Or I sign the back of the backer board, but that ends up under the paper dust cover.

For my working prints in RC paper I use a Sharpie and mark relevant exposure info and so forth along the bottom edge of the back, so if I do hinge mount them for my own use, I still have the info. I used to keep notes in a notebook on every print (I still do about film development), but after hundreds of prints, find it easier to simply refer to the actual working pic and the data on the back. I don't do complicated dodge and burns (minor as needed), but any of that is briefly noted on back as well. I've only been doing the Sharpie on the back for about a year, but never had any sort of issues on the RC paper. I wouldn't do it for a print I meant to sell, or on FB of course. Sri for the bit of thread drift.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Why not sign the way your buyer asks you to sign.
    Because I do not ask them how to print the image, nor how to mat the image. But I'll let them decide how they what to frame it (and just keep my fingers crossed that they show some restraint.)

Vaughn

PS...#3 pencil, sharp and used as lightly as possible...on the front mat, lower right.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always use a floating matte, which leaves a blank rebate around the image. I sign my name, the year the image was taken and the copyright symbol on the lower right hand corner of the print margin. I use a very fine pen and India ink. I sign the print because, mattes often yellow. Besides, the print is the artwork, not the matte.
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Canada

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sign the print because, mattes often yellow. Besides, the print is the artwork, not the matte.
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Canada[/QUOTE]

The matt shouldn't yellow if using quality conservation or cotton rag board.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Bill says, if your mount-board yellows, where to put the signature is not your biggest issue. Quality overmats and mount-boards do not yellow. If they do, they will eventually attack the print. Toning the print will protect them longer, but I suggest to get to the root cause and change the matting material.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some really good responses here cheers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you look at the work of major artists currently working you will see that most of them sign the back of the print, not the front. If the print is permanently mounted, they sign the back of the mount. Some, like Sally Mann, Eliot Porter, and Alec Soth use a stamp with the studio name and address, then hand write the edition number and signature. Porter went the lengths of devising a template to place the stamp in a specific place to identify fraudulent imitations.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My style is generally to let the print speak for itself, this being very much the principle behind well-crafted Ilfochrome (Superchrome) prints, so framed chromes are never signed on the front mat (but information on image, etc and signature appears on the rear of the completed frame-up).

If the client does not want museum-grade conservation framing (9-ply cotton rag mat, UV-block glass and vac. sealing) but just the raw Ilfo' print, I sign my name and edition in the lower edge black border in fine-point gold permanent pen, lower right of the print (attempting to rub this off will be highly conspicuous as 'chromes easily show buffing or rubbing). That's it. Nothing else. Finished. In my case, for that reason, the borders on all chromes must be equidistant and straight (pro labs will take care of this small but critical point in terms of the print possibly being plate-mounted with borders, rather than framed with borders removed).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thought of this thread yesterday afternoon. I went to a local juried art show, themed on "Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area," open to paintings and photographs. There were two photos by the same individual, framed with a fairly narrow single mat. She had written the title -- which was long -- plus her name in black ink, all in scrawly script about 7 or 8 mm high, not block letters -- across the lower part of the mat, just millimeters from the opening. Distracting as all get-out, don't even remember what the actual subjects were!

DaveT

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dave, one of the rare times I have seen writing the title, etc on the print and/or mat actually work was Mark Klett's prints. Sort of tied in with the "rebate" of the Polaroid Type 55 he used...and historically with the identification scratched onto glass plate negatives of the frontier photographers. But most of the time, it can be very distracting.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin