Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,481   Online: 764

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This site, APUG, is an excellent role model, it's very complex yet easy to use, no Flash which is good for some purposes but not really ours as stills photographers.

The Lightbox java script is excellent, many forums & websites use it because it allows easy viewing of images either on a one off basis or by scrolling through all the relevant images on a page. The Portfolio section here on APUG is a great example.

A couple of other suggestions are for sales look at using OS Commerce, it's free very easy to install & run and quite easy to customise, it allows Paypal, Credit Card and other methods of payment with no hassles at all.

The other is Joomla, again very easy to set up & customise, then if you want a forum that easy too.

Don't put your email address online, use a Webmail form with Captcha, and if you use a Guestbook again find one that uses Captcha, and don't display posters email addresses. Unfortunately the US Constitution allows email address harvesting and mass spam emailing, and once they get your email address it's a nightmare Every so often you may get a denial of service attack, at this point the number of spam emails shuts your email server down !!! I've had it happen 3 times now.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well it seems my thread has been hijacked by the usual debate over flash etc. My OP and subsequent post specifically mentioned this was not to be a discussion of technology etc. Just so you know I have no plans of using any flash extensively.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to go the folio route.

ER
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry to appear a bit dim - but what, exactly, is meant by 'folio' in this case?

Cheers
    Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to put yourself in the place of your customers and think of how they will look for your work.

For instance, my film work is arranged by folios, but my stock photography is arranged by subject matter.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sar-photo View Post
    Sorry to appear a bit dim - but what, exactly, is meant by 'folio' in this case?

Cheers
    Simon
    A coherent set of images.

So you might have say a Landscape folio, another of Portraits.

How tight each folio is is quite personal. I have a folio of music images - shots of Rock musicians live & on location and another of B&W Landscapes.

However the landscapes can in my case be subdivided into more specific folios to cover The Black Country, or the Aegean Region etc.

When I go to see a Gallery about an exhibition I show a portfolio of the work I propose to show, this is usually work in progress as UK galleries often book 2-3 years in advance, I also take a more general folio as Gallery Directors/Curators want to see your full capabilities.

My own feeling is a website needs to reflect some of that same approach.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin