Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,381   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Designing new website and need your advise

Some people setup their folders(galleries) by geographic location and others by theme such as "doors", "bridges" etc. Still others go with a folio type of layout. I'm leaning towards the folio idea but this takes a LOT more work to put together.

Is it worth it? From a collectors point of view would they respond to one schema better than another?

I have taken down my old site so there is nothing to see on my link as of yet.

ER
    Last edited by Eric Rose; 09-21-2009 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the folio idea is excellent, it's the way I intend to go because it mirrors how I show my work in exhibitions etc.

There's no reason why you can't use both though, particularly while work is in progress.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-21-2009 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have no idea about such things, but my brother who does such things for a living (website design et al.) told me that most people don't have flash installed. The majority of people in the world just install a browser, or use Internet explorer, and go about they're day. If a site says they need to install additional things, they will just close that site. I have noticed a lot of find photographers using flash on their sites because it is the "in" thing. I kept my site simple, and used all plain HTML. Any browser in the world can open it, view it, and it looks good. Mind you, its not flashy and fancy like the Flash sites that have pictures fading in and out, and whizzing about... but it gets the job done in the end.

Just food for thought.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I should have been clearer, we are not talking about technology here, just layout. Yes the two can be inter-related but not for this discussion.
    Last edited by Eric Rose; 09-21-2009 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you just want to show your pictures to everybody, go with a flickr site. If your goal is to use your site as a portal for potential collectors and exhibitors, I recommend organizing it by folio. This is how it would be shown in a real world gallery and curators think in this mode, not by "subject matter" or "medium" or so forth. In other words, think about who you want to see the site and go in that direction. I, and my friends, are gallery oriented artists so we have our sites organized with curators in mind and use the folio or project model. Most amateurs and hobbyists like the ease of flickr because nobody needs to hunt down your domain name to find your stuff.

As for programming, I use a flash plug-in gallery, one friend uses html, another uses all flash, and yet another uses a customized wordpress blog. Options are endless. I'm thinking of changing so the iPhone is able to see my site.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The folio idea is good.
    It shows you think about what you are doing. (And if find you have trouble arranging your work in themed portfolios, perhaps you don't think about it enough. )

Flash and other 'fancy trickery' is bad. Very bad.
    People want to see pictures. Not be bored with the way Flash c.s. move them about.
    And that's all these silly things do: show how brilliant they are at getting in the way of people having a look at what a site has to offer.

If you need some active content (which you well might when the amount of things you want to show grows), make sure all activity is 'server-side', and that all the viewer's browser has to do is show the result.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 09-22-2009 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ... should learn how to arrange letters in the correct order ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    ...Flash and other 'fancy trickery' is bad. Very bad.
    Very well said! And don't even think about an intro.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Personally, Web sites that have a large Flash component on their home page annoy the living hell out of me. I'll usually exit without going any further.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Agreed. And you know what makes me I RATE? Music. Now, being a musician, that's a weird thing to say, but I HATE when loud music comes blaring out of my 'puter when I want to look at some fine art.

And, yes, I ment to type I (space) RATE. It's an old joke in which someone wrote a letter to a place I worked one time and we made fun of them for writing it. It's funny... well, I thought so.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Personally, Web sites that have a large Flash component on their home page annoy the living hell out of me. I'll usually exit without going any further.
    Another problem (half guessed) with these sites is that they don't play well with flash blockers.

Because of flash ad abuse, I run with flash blockers on. If there is flash, I get an icon. If I want it to run, I click on it. Some sites (youtube) work just fine with this. Some sites give me nothing. I can only assume it is because they don't run correctly (and weren't tested) in that scenario.

Usually, I don't bother. Pardon the pun, but I find that heavy flash usage correlates well with sites that are all flash and no substance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin