Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,280   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Medium Format

Signing RC Gloss and Luster Prints

I prefer the traditional look with a border around the print and the signature within this border at the bottom in pencil. How is this done on RC or FB Gloss and Luster prints? Will pencil work or is that only for matte prints?
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 09-25-2009 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A fine "Sharpie" marker may be best. A pencil won't work.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is there anything else that would? What was used before sharpie?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Regular sharpies fade/discolor in the light. I believe there is an "Industrial Sharpie" that is more permanent.

Before the Sharpie -- ink. There are "archival" markers on the market, using pigment inks. Use a fountain pen and fill with a good ink.

Or maybe something like this...http://www.freestylephoto.biz/665150...-Marker-2-Pack

vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For pigment ink pens, I like my ZIG Memory system Millennium pens. They come in very fine points.
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/zi...nnium-markers/
    Sorry should have found a better URL, they do come in normal black, not just pink and yellow

RC hasn't been around for very long... so ink or pencil would have been used "before".
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RC isn't as important. I should have phrased it differently.
    The issue is a gloss or luster surface which can be RC or fiber based.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before sharpie was fountain pen with specialized India Ink for fountain pens. Regular India Ink would ruin a fountain pen. It works great.....Sorry, I should have added this before.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, the bane of left-handers the world over... fountain pens. I can still remember ink-wells, blackened fingers and smeared pages from my early school days. (now, I don't think I'm that old... it's just that growing up in Canada's "Near North", change came slowly in the '50s and '60s.)

By the way, and more on topic, I sign the back of my prints. (...with a thick grade-school primer pencil. )

Cheers, and remembering my special spot, standing in the corner by the door.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin