Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,109   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Drymount tacking question

I tried my first drymount today.

I don't have a tacking iron, so I just stuck a steel rule in the press to warm up some. Thought I could use it in place of an iron. Well.... it sort of worked, but the steel rule stuck very nicely as well.

Question is; whats up with a tacking iron, that it wont stick to the tissue? Do I need to break down and get a tacking iron? Or is there some other method, that you guys use?

Thanks

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I use a household iron set on low heat. I think there is some type of teflon surface.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 09-27-2009 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jon,
    That would be simple enough.

Images
    Good Evening, Tim,

Perhaps some tacking irons have a non-stick surface, but the ones I've used don't.

The solution is simple: Use a non-stick material between the iron and the tissue. The Seal Release Paper is what's normally used, but I've also used a small piece of the backing from a used sheet of address labels. I suspect that the backing material from our current self-sticking postage stamps would work also, although I haven't tried it. The tacking iron should be kept adhesive-free, just as it's a good idea to keep any adhesive from contaminating the press platen.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I use a household iron. I think there is some type of teflon surface.

Jon
    Be careful with the household iron. If not careful, it can give you a sharp ding. The old standby is the back of a heated iced-tea spoon.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So many obvious simple solutions. I'm starting to feel a little slow.
    Thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever tried parchment paper as an overlay while dry mounting with heat? I noticed my wife using it to line cookie sheets while baking them. It obviously handles a good deal of heat and sticks to neither the cookie sheet or the backed goods.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Has anyone ever tried parchment paper as an overlay while dry mounting with heat? I noticed my wife using it to line cookie sheets while baking them. It obviously handles a good deal of heat and sticks to neither the cookie sheet or the backed goods.
    I used to use a layer of kraft paper.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Of course you could just buy a tacking iron, I got mine for $5. There are many out there.
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael,

I wish I'd thought of that. The obvious usually escapes me.

Seriously, thats one thing I've never seen in my scrounging travels. If I ever run across one, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. (Especially for 5.00)

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin