Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,315   Online: 1205

Shooter
    Medium Format

Interesting thing happened tonight.

I went to the annual Broad Avenue Art Walk, in one of the arts districts that have popped up in Memphis. I was talking to some of the people who run the trendiest of the galleries, Odessa. When I mentioned I was a photographer, I got some interest. Then the 10,000 dollar question came along. What equipment do I use? I mentioned I was big into digital until a few months ago but now I shoot Medium Format Film. They looked like they had been shot and business contact info started flying at me. Apparently, they want first look at any portfolios I put together because "Digital is overdone and with Photoshop, might as well be Graphic Art."

So, I have to wonder, are we, as working or hobbyist Analog Photographers so rare? I mean, I know we are rare, but this is just astounding.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like a fantastic turn of events. This is great news indeed. My first question would be as to in what manner they present their exhibits. Are they low key? Are they over the top? Edgy, sedate? Just curious. But such an offer is almost too good to refuse. Fantastic.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I bet they see a lot of junk portfolios coming in, seems like there has been an explosion of shooters trying to get there work in galleries and festivals thanks in part to cheaper DSLRs and inkjet printers. I've seen it around here for sure. Maybe they have learned from experience that someone who is using film NOW is at least worth a look, especially if they seem intelligent and serious about what they do. Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by photomem View Post
    Apparently, they want first look at any portfolios I put together because "Digital is overdone and with Photoshop, might as well be Graphic Art."

So, I have to wonder, are we, as working or hobbyist Analog Photographers so rare? I mean, I know we are rare, but this is just astounding.
    First, congratulations on the interest.

The phrasing hits on something that runs though my mind often. And I don't mean to start on yet another digital bashing tangent. Graphic Art is amazing stuff, and has been stretching back before computers. And Photoshop (and such) create some captivating results.

But what draws me to photography is creating or capturing (not always clear which) an image that is a piece of reality. It may not look like the real thing, what with interpretations of luminances, dodging, burning, etc. But it (for me) is anchored in a real thing.

Sort of the difference between a photographic portrait and a painted portrait. I can't define how they are different, but it is there. They are different art forms.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thee and me, D. As I am sure we all do. We are looking for something to visually associate with. It's the way our brain work. We may not remember something exactly as it was, but we have a memory that we associate with that thing.

Sorry to fly OT like that.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin