Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,015   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the vast majority of people, it's what they can see that counts. Hand-crafted this and that can support the photography, but it's not enough in itself. I would put the very best darkroom prints you can produce in some very nice frames, and put them in the types of places your potential clientbase will shop. If your printing skills are not outstanding, get a professional darkroom printer to do them - a silver print crafted poorly is no better than an inkjet print made well.

I print pretty well, but I've had some of my largest pieces done by a professional printer (Mike Crawford, www.lighthousedarkroom.com). I've honestly had people ask about buying them as pieces of art, not realising that the photographs were made on private commission for families. It all gets better when they realise that the photograph could be the decoration for their living room, but feature their own children instead.

Ciaran

Mal
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, I've been 'around' photography for many years without doing much commercially myself... I'm also keen to work with film but have an extensive range of digital gear... I've heard of people using pinhole cameras in their range to shoot weddings as well as 35mm, medium & large format film and digital from 10 megapixels to 60 megapixels... Everyone uses different tools to take the image and there are a multitude of ways to present the image to the client from darkroom print to DVD slideshows and printed albums... There is so very much to learn...

A quote that sprang to mind when I was reading through these posts is: "Nobody ever asks which brush Da Vinci used to paint the Mona Lisa"...

The method you use to create the image that you present to the client is largely irrelevant. The comments about your individual style from other posts are on the money. A client buys your style, your presentation, your talent, your skill... They don't buy your camera or even care very much about how you do your job as long as they get what the want...

Be the best you can be at what you do and learn to market that...

And good luck... Mal...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the input, all of you. This new photography landscape is a very interesting one to have returned to after 5 years. I am indeed running in the other direction and just bought a Wisner Technical Field 4x5 and am fully committed to marketing my film portraiture and seeing where it takes me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin