Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,109   Online: 935

Thread: Pentax Project?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pentax Project?

I've been tinkering around with my new-to-me Pentax K-1000 all weekend. I've shot a few rolls of film, but havent made any prints yet. However, I'm in love with the little thing. It's just the opposite of my Canon rig (a K-2 with a 70-200mm F/4 lens and a 24-70mm F/2.8 L lens). my Canon is heavy and big and attention-getting. The Pentax is small and light and unobtrusive.

While playing with the Pentax (actually playing with it in class ), I thought of a project that I'd like to do. I'd like to spend a year, lets say from today until October 20th, 2010, shooting black and white pictures with my Pentax and printing the best negatives. After the year is up, display my work as an exibition.

The college where I go to school has an art gallery that art/photography students display their work when they graduate. Every year, IIRC, they have a few alumni and traveling artists display their work. I'm guessing that might be a good place to start (I'm new at the exhibiting my work stuff, so I might be a little naive with the whole project right now ).

Anybody have any suggestions on how to go about shooting this project or suggestions on how to narrow my vague idea down? Perhaps a year of spontanious portrait-type stuff or 35mm urban scenes, or would just a collection of good prints from a Pentax K1000 be sufficient? Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward urban scenes (downtown areas in the southeast, maybe start out here in North Alabama and Southern Tennessee and branch out to Atlanta, New Orleans, Louisiana, and Savannah, Georgia).

Oh, and I wasnt sure which forum to put this in. Moderators, if there is a more appropriate forum, please relocate this or tell me so I can copy/paste it somewhere else
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's slightly amusing when someone calls a K1000 "small and light and unobtrusive" as from my recolection (haven't held one for many ears) compared to a ME Super (or Nikon FM/FE series) they are a bit of a brick!

As far as your project goes, you need to decide! In the meanwhile talk to the art dept about who gets to exhibit in the school gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    It's slightly amusing when someone calls a K1000 "small and light and unobtrusive" as from my recolection (haven't held one for many ears) compared to a ME Super (or Nikon FM/FE series) they are a bit of a brick!
    Canon's 70-200mm F/4 L lens isnt light, though. I'm used to lugging that thing around (Dont use my 24-70mm much)

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    As far as your project goes, you need to decide! In the meanwhile talk to the art dept about who gets to exhibit in the school gallery.
    I'm still playing around with the idea. I'm working on my graduation gallery, so I probably wont make a decision until then on what to do next. I'll be talking to the lady over the exhibition room again probably tomorrow, so I'll see what I have to do to set up an alumni exhibition.

I'm quite liking the idea of doing a project with one camera for a year. The subject matter is what I'm having trouble with. Right now, I'm really feeling something like a "shots of downtown southeastern cities" kind of thing. I'm thinking of the old-timey pictures like the ones I'm uploading right to this post.

Oh, those pictures came from http://mygalleryworld.blogspot.com/2...us-cities.html , btw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2c.jpg   5.jpg  
    Last edited by Existing Light; 10-20-2009 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin