Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,229   Online: 991

Shooter
    Medium Format

I am trying something crazy... on mats.

I currently have sitting on my stove two pounds of crushed cherries soaking in about 3-4 liters of water. Tomorrow, I will boil them and turn them into fruit based dye. The reason for this is to attempt and turn a white 100% cotton rag mat into an aged looking red mat for my tea toned prints.

Muahhahahaha

Though, I am curious.. have any of you tried this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drenching pricey 100% cotton rag mat with wild cherries!?

Maybe cherries and choc icecream would be much more appealing.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am in favor of anything that sounds insane, unlikely, and wasteful. Please let me know how that turns out. We can do shots to celebrate.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see you are from Memphis. Now I want to fly down there to see how it turns out personally.

- CJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    While you might get some interesting color and pattern, the mats will no longer be archival. Bear in mind that the fruit will introduce sugar and other organic material, and probably acidify the mat. I would worry about future issues with mold, and color migrating from the mat. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is part of my "fused interest" project for studio class. At current estimate, I am about 150.00 in on materials with no results. I was trying to do alt. process printing, and it failed horribly. I have to fuse cooking and photography. I do not need it to be archival, just last until the new turn in date which is Monday.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    I see you are from Memphis. Now I want to fly down there to see how it turns out personally.

- CJ
    Um.. you are welcome to fly down here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, did some more research. The fruit is simmered, then all the organic matter is strained out. The concentrated juice at this point is treated with a mixture of salt and water. This should make the sugar reduce out.. also, vinegar can be used as a color setting agent along side the saltwater. A couple of rinses should restore the Ph to nearly 7, or alternately.. the mat will fall apart and I will have red glop.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The mat will swell and you will not be happy.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You were correct Kirk, the mat swelled and then fell apart. So, back to the drawing board. Last night, I had an idea. I went today to the local drug store and picked up a plug of Days O Work Chewing Tobacco. I cut the plugs in half, dipped them in Isopropyl Alcohol and rubbed them onto the print. The alcohol dried quick enough to prevent the mats from coming apart, and carried the color of the tobacco nicely. So, now I have two mats ready for prints to be inserted which look like they have been sitting on a shelf for about 100 yrs. Very cool.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin