Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,075   Online: 941

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nielsen frames very easy to assemble and swap with. Available in any size and a variety of styles from Light Impressions - very reliable, I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I do like the flexibility of the Nielsen style metal frames. For my silver gelatin prints I generally use the standard sizes, 12x16, 16x20, 20x24, and the not so standard 24x28. I can mix and match all those sizes as well as some odd-balls, like a frame for two 10x10 prints in the same frame (16x28). I have some odd ball lengths around also. I like the silver frame or the silver gelatin.

I don't use those springs -- with the #11 profile, I find a combination of glass, mat board and foam core (for the back) that creates a nice tight fit in the frame. Sometimes I ha e to compress the foam core a little along the edges to fit into the frame.

But now my images are usually 8x10 alt prints framed 16 x 20 (and 4x10 images in 12x16 frames), and I like a simple black painted wood frame. I don't need to do the mix and match thing, and it is nice to know I have a few 16x20 frames around. The nails (brads) on the back are not much of a problem. A pair of needle-nose pliers takes care of the removal and a brad-pusher makes pushing them in easy. Cleaning the glass and getting all the dust out is a bigger chore.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of frames that would be good for this - they are 14" x 14", have an 8x10 mat that can be used either vertically or horizontally, and have the toggles at the back.

I also have a couple of 20" x 20" frames that are similar, and should work for 11x14 prints as well (but haven't been put to use yet).

The square frames give a consistent appearance on the wall, which I really like if I'm displaying more than one photograph in a location.

Matt

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmikol View Post
    Hi all--

Last year, I started hanging 4 prints in my front hallway, which I rotate every couple of months. I'm using some pretty cheap wooden frames I got from Michaels, but I'm looking for something nicer, and I'm looking to expand the number of prints I have up, now that I've ordered better lighting. It's purely a vanity thing...this isn't my business, it's just to show off and impress my friends when they come visit, so lower-cost might be nice.

I'm looking for a good-quality, good-looking frame that's easy to swap images in and out of. I don't like the clip-style "frameless" frames. I *do* like the Nielsen metal frames, and the flexibility in terms of frame sizes, but I don't like the idea of having to dis-assemble and re-assemble every time I want to hang new prints. But I generally like the slim, contemporary look of black metal frames.

If I could find metal frames that had retention clips like a wood frame, that would be perfect.

Any suggestions out there? Maybe I'm not searching all that well, but the Nielsen frames (or clones thereof) seem to be the only thing I find.

Thanks--

Greg
    The best frames for frequent swapping are these:

http://halbe-rahmen.de/index.php?id=59&L=1

http://halbe-rahmen.de/en/main/produ...s-prinzip.html

I use Nielsen for sales and Halbe for exhibitions.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    The best frames for frequent swapping are these:

http://halbe-rahmen.de/index.php?id=59&L=1

http://halbe-rahmen.de/en/main/produ...s-prinzip.html

I use Nielsen for sales and Halbe for exhibitions.
    Wow, Ralph...thanks for the tip on thse. They look great. A little pricier than Nielsen, it looks like, but a really awesome product. Doesn't look like they have a US distributor...Do you know what shipping from Germany is like for half-a-dozen frames?

--Greg

Shooter
    Large Format
    Years back we bought Opus frames from Vancouver for this very thing. Years ago, I should say decades ago. At that time you could order them any size as my wife ordered 20X22 frames. I think they are slightly easier to change frequently than sectional frames. They are also heavier due to the need for a thicker backing. After a while one forgets to rotate the images though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Welll, redrock, I found their website, and I don't see anything about custom sizes, and their webstore isn't set up for cross-border shipping anyway.

I have to admit, after looking at & listening to the stuff that MikeSeb linked to on Figital Revolution, I'm seriously considering going non-traditional. I always wanted a more casual way of presenting the stuff, I just hadn't figured out how. FR gave me some ideas that I'm tossing around.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, so I'm glad to hear any other ideas. I'll be sure to post up some pics once it's set up. (Before Christmas is my goal...)

--Greg

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    those do look like great frames, however, i haven't been able to find someplace in the USA to purchase
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmikol View Post
    Wow, Ralph...thanks for the tip on thse. They look great. A little pricier than Nielsen, it looks like, but a really awesome product. Doesn't look like they have a US distributor...Do you know what shipping from Germany is like for half-a-dozen frames?

--Greg
    Greg

Send an email to Mr. Eichhorn (eichhorn@halbe.de) and tell him I've sent you. He is the managing director (now that the founder retired). I think they have an US distributor, at least they were working on one two years ago. I don't think shipping from Germany is an economical option.

I have about 30 of their frames, which allows me to quickly put an exhibition together. After the show, I take the mounted prints out of the frames (takes less than 5 seconds) and put them back into their storage boxes. They sell a lot of frames to museums and galleries. It's really a great product, and no, I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Greg

Send an email to Mr. Eichhorn (eichhorn@halbe.de) and tell him I've sent you. He is the managing director...

...I have no affiliation with them...
    Please don't take offense, but I find the juxtaposition of these 2 comments quite amusing. While I understand that you mean you have no financial interest in the company, you obviously have some affiliation...

Thanks again for the tip.

--Greg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin