Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,292   Online: 900

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Archival? Transfer Sheets

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Is there any archival self-adhesive?
    I'll research the market some. May wish to
    give adhesive transfer sheets a try.

Archival? I read in post 7 this thread that the
    word archival is not to be used. The spray did
    though pass two of the IPI's tests for mounting.

Ilford, in their fixer PDFs, has dropped the
    use of the word. I still use the word
    but do so; 'archival'. Dan

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    I'll research the market some. May wish to
    give adhesive transfer sheets a try.

Archival? I read in post 7 this thread that the
    word archival is not to be used. The spray did
    though pass two of the IPI's tests for mounting.

Ilford, in their fixer PDFs, has dropped the
    use of the word. I still use the word
    but do so; 'archival'. Dan
    We will get off topic if we discuss the meaning of the word 'archival'. Anyway, just dropping it is not an option, as it has a relatively clear meaning to many people (lasting for a long time). A more accurate description is the term 'life expectancy', followed by the years until a certain level of deterioration has been reached. For example, if we can accept a 10% density loss and it takes 100 years for that density loss to occur then the product has a life expectancy of 100 years, or short, LE100.

Back to adhesives. I might be wrong, but my information is that self-adhesives in the form of tape, double-sided tape or sticky sheets don't have a long life expectancy, which means in colloquial language, they are not archival. Is anybody aware of IPI tests on adhesive transfer sheets?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

ISO 14523?

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Is anybody aware of IPI tests on adhesive transfer sheets?
    I did run across one product which met the ISO 14523 Photo
    Activity test. No mention of the IPI. The IPI I'd suspect is
    one of a few labs certified to test. Dan

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did run across one product which met the ISO 14523 Photo
    Activity test. No mention of the IPI. The IPI I'd suspect is
    one of a few labs certified to test. Dan
    Better yet. The IPI developed the Photographic Activity Test, which turned into ISO 14523.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

The PAT?

I've found a couple of more which have passed the PAT
    one of which is a Gudy 870; available from Talas. The
    OP's spray also has passed the PAT.

Is the PAT as a standard the last word in print
    mounting compatibility? I suspect that any of
    the 'hot melt' papers pass no more than
    the PAT. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found a couple of more which have passed the PAT
    one of which is a Gudy 870
    I've recently been researching the Gudy material (also available via Light Impressions) as a solution to mount prints in an album for an editioned portfolio.

I noticed first that it's somewhat expensive, which is fine if it's a good solution but it makes it a bit painful to buy just to experiment with. So I'm curious about what it's like to work with. Say with prints 11x14" and smaller, can they be mounted cleanly by hand or if it really takes a cold press to do it even with small prints?

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've never been at one with spray mount, not just for photos but any application. Always had trouble with the spray getting everywhere, nothing coming out, shortly followed by a huge gob of glue and the fact that sooner or later it seemed to peel at the edges. My preferred method of mounting is Daler self-adhesive board, for which I pay somewhere between £3.50 and £4.50 for an A1 sheet, depending on whether there's a special offer on it.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shop Talas

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    I've recently been researching the Gudy material
    (also available via Light Impressions) as a solution
    to mount prints in an album for an editioned portfolio.
    Talas has a couple of Gudys, one for $26; 12in x 33ft.
    Have a mind to order a roll. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What the 3m rep said was true, but the fact is it may be ph neutral now, but these things do change. It is not an "archival" product by any stretch of the imagination. I am a professional picture framer and have been for 20 years. I have studied conservation framing and archival permanence issues. I would equate the ph neutral quality of 3m adhesives (77, Photo Mount, Vacu Mount, etc.) to that of a "paper" or "regular" mat board. The companies that manufacture these call them "acid free"...but in the case of these products, they have a buffer that makes them ph neutral and this is what they are referring to. Only problem is that this buffer breaks down over time, the mat darkens to a shade of yellow or brown and starts leaching acids into whatever it's touching.

In the case of the spray glue adhesive, and even dry mounting methods, if you want or need your item flat, then go ahead and do it. It's not an "archival" way to do mounting because it is not reversible. There are dry mounting tissues (like one called "Fusion") that claim to be reversible, but I've never tried it. I tell my customers that it's a trade off... and ask them "Do you want your art to be absolutely flat, or do you want it to be preserved for the next 20+ years?" If your goal is to sell to the general public or for presentations where the image is mounted directly on top of a mat board, then obviously, you have to go this route, but if you are making nice fiber paper prints mounted in window mats, then you can use better archival methods.

Sorry if I'm rambling! Obviously conservation framing and photography are things I'm very passionate about ;-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use 3m photo spray quite a bit to mount gifts for friends. If I'm going over to someone's house for dinner, I can flush-mount a few prints in ten minutes. It *is* a PITA, since it can be tricky to keep the spray off the front of the print. I don't assume it's archival.

Like others here, I use dry mount tissue for gallery or work for sale. I don't have my own press, but I've mounted plenty of 8x10s using a clothes iron. I did this once to get some last minute stuff ready for a show and it worked so well that now I do it for most 8x10s. For larger prints I borrow a press.

If I were a little more organized, I could probably dry mount as quickly as I can spray mount and avoid the fumes and mess, but I'm not a little more organized...
    Vince Donovan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin