Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,216   Online: 838

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

3M Spray adhesive to mount prints?

I don't know much about dry mounting, but I understand it's a process where you permanently glue the print to the backing board. I like this idea for some reason; it seems guaranteed to keep the print flat, not that it should be a problem with RC paper.

I use RC paper; suppose I used 3M spray adhesive to stick my prints to the backing substrate...what would happen? Any ideas how long it would last? I used to use Super 77 to cover fiberglass with cloth and it's very tenacious.

Also, 3M has a Spray Mount(tm) product that is specifically for mounting artwork. Anyone used it? Guesses as to how long it lasts or how archival it is?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would not suggest using the 3M Spray Mount. I have not used it personally.. though, some of my professors say that it can be chemically reactive and its structure changes over time. Just what I have heard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I use it...

for quick/easy mounting on photos that are aimed at a less expensive market, or given away as gifts. I've used it for, maybe, 15 years. Still have a bunch of those prints stashed away, and see no difference in them what-so-ever. No yellowing, lifting or de-laminating.

I spray the backing board after marking the print position using the window mat as a guide. You only get one shot at getting the print down, so take care the first time! Unlike other proven mounting methods. the 3M spray is non-reversable. I have re-mounted prints, but it's a PITA cause I actually cut the back mounting board to the size of the print, leaving the print attached. Then you need to remount on another backing board and use a sandwich three layers thick: a print-sized window board of the correct thickness is the middle component, surrounding the print.

I have no plans to stop using the 3M adhesive for incidentals, but will keep dry mounting gallery or wedding work.

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't know much about dry mounting, but I understand it's a process where you permanently glue the print to the backing board. I like this idea for some reason; it seems guaranteed to keep the print flat, not that it should be a problem with RC paper.

I use RC paper; suppose I used 3M spray adhesive to stick my prints to the backing substrate...what would happen? Any ideas how long it would last? I used to use Super 77 to cover fiberglass with cloth and it's very tenacious.

Also, 3M has a Spray Mount(tm) product that is specifically for mounting artwork. Anyone used it? Guesses as to how long it lasts or how archival it is?
    I think, all you have to do is look at the ingredients list on the can, and at any article about archival processing and mounting on the web, and you'll know the answer. I would not touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I used the 3M Photo mount on dozens and dozens of RC prints, without any sign of print degradation or adhesion failure after 9 years or more. If you read the 3M product info on its website, it is described as ph neutral. However, I have now switched to dry mounting, for several reasons:

1) The 3M stuff is really expensive;
    2) The fumes are noxious;
    3) The overspray gets everywhere: your clothes, shoes, eyeglasses, etc. Never use this indoors;
    I wouldn't even use it in a garage. Use a face mask or hold your breath.
    4) In particular, the overspray gets on the front of your print. I had to pin the corners of my print
    face down on a cork board covered with a clean paper towel to prevent this.

I purchased a used dry mount press for $40 on craigslist, and have not used spray mount since. Dry mounting does have a learning curve, and I have found that temperature and timing are critical for good results, but overall I find it definitely preferrable. Some are critical of dry mounting because it is permanent (as is gluing), but others claim that the layer of inert dry mount tissue actually provides an additional barrier of protection against contamination between the mount board and the print.

Regards,

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I bought some sheets of dry-mount tissue at the local framing shop, and on a test basis used an iron at the lowest setting to mount a photo to a piece of cardboard, with the tissue sandwiched in between. Worked like a charm, really strong corner to corner adhesive effect, and no damage done to the print. Six months on, the prints are still stuck to the mounting board.

Key takeaway was that it apparently does not take a lot of heat to "melt" the dry mount tissue, and I now use this method as standard practice when mounting prints.

I used to use 3M phot mount, but have ceased doing so, for the exact same reasons Dave Martiny states above.
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This came up once before... I work for 3M in another division but put in a message to the techs in the adhesives division and received this reply:

Thank you for your interest in 3M aerosol adhesives.

3M Spray Adhesive's: 77, Photo Mount, Vac-U-Mount and Spray Mount have been tested by the Rochester Institute of Technology, Image Permanence Institute for pH and Photographic Activity. They are all pH neutral in the dry adhesive film state and pass the Photographic Activity Test for both color and black and white photographs.

Those are the only two tests we are aware of that would indicate if a spray adhesive is suitable for mounting prints/photos. We should not reference "archival" but rather these tests.

If I can try to help in any other way, please let me know.

Regards,

Robert ( B. Jay ) Inserra

3M Industrial Adhesives & Tapes Division
    Technical Service - Aerosol & Cylinder Spray Adhesives
    3M Center, Bldg. 230-2S-29
    St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
    651-733-8337 office
    651-216-8005 cell
    651-737-1920 Fax
    rjinserra1@mmm.com
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    for quick/easy mounting on photos that are aimed at a less expensive market, or given away as gifts. I've used it for, maybe, 15 years. Still have a bunch of those prints stashed away, and see no difference in them what-so-ever. No yellowing, lifting or de-laminating.
    Are you speaking of regular 77 spray adhesive, or the Photo Mount product?

FWIW, I bought some sheets of dry-mount tissue at the local framing shop, and on a test basis used an iron at the lowest setting to mount a photo to a piece of cardboard, with the tissue sandwiched in between. Worked like a charm, really strong corner to corner adhesive effect, and no damage done to the print. Six months on, the prints are still stuck to the mounting board.
    This is very interesting. I really don't have room for a dry-mount press (although the school might have one I can use), but I do have an iron. For smallish prints, if I could lay a tshirt over them drymount them using an iron that would be great. I need to get some of that tissue and do some experimenting.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though I prefer the drymount I have used the 77 adhesive for quick mounting RC prints when I was taking them to my local camera club competitions. Theres no sign of degradation on the prints I still have but a hot environment will cause the adhesive to loosen. It will stick down again if the corners come up.
    When mounting I was putting them on a plastic board. I would position with scotch tape and lay the print over backside up and lay a sheet of newspaper under and around the print being sure the mount was well covered. Spray the back of the print an even coat, remove the newspaper and flip the print back over and rub into contact from the center out. I rarely had a problem with the print getting mis-positioned. Any glue creeping into the wrong place can be cleaned with film cleaner.
    I tried this technique with paper matboard but the tape marked the board. Might work using white artists tape.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

If you're talking the automotive grade spray trim adhesives (8074 and 8088) then I wouldn't even consider them. They will not work archivally. They will eventually ruin the prints.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin