Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,258   Online: 1120

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Matts for prints

Hi,
    Can somebody please explain the different methods of matts for framing prints. I've heard of one method is to leave the actual edges of the print visable. I have done a quick google and had no real luck.
    Thanks
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Lots of previous posts on this. here is a quick search results:

http://www.apug.org/forums/search.php?searchid=5530988

Check several of the promising threads -- should get you all the info you need.

Vaughn

PS...I usually mat as you described. I like the clean look of seeing the image's edges, rather than having a cut window define those edges.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like the clean look of seeing the image's edges, rather than having a cut window define those edges
    Hooray! A man after my own heart. My opinion as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Pat, in my other life I am a framer, and the method of matting depends on the photographer in question. I would mat equally with the edges showing, to mats covering the photo itself, a matter of personal choice.
    For my personal work, I usually mat to cover the edges of the print, except when the print is from 35mm, when I print the black borders and allow them to show. I know this is considered passe these days, but I still like it so I don't care.
    Some photographers like the black core board for their mats, particularly for high key prints, others like double white mats etc. etc. So you can see that it very much a personal preference, so if you like some of the paper white showing, go for it.
    Looks like you are shooting 5x4, if so, printing the edges of the negative can look very effective, and shows that you are not using digital. Mind you, I saw some publicity shots the other day, printed like proofs with the sprocket holes and film ID all included, nice B&W's, but the film was Fuji RDP.....guess they grabbed the wrong program!

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    if I remember correctly, reading an interview, George Tice said he had this type of matting on his photographs, he didn't want anyone but him setting the edges of his images.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin