Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,460   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bookbinding, Print sizes and alternative displaying methods

Hi Folks,
    I've been reprinting all my A level negs for my university application portfolio, and have been trying to work out an efficient and cost effective workflow to make the process more enjoyable.

Currently I've been working out the correct exposure and local controls for each negative by making small 120x80mm prints and test strips. I then scale up all the exposure times for making the large 'final' print.

Anyway Ive been left with loads of these miniature copies of my best photographs and I have been thinking of alternative ways of displaying them. For my A Level coursework I made a small leather bound accordion book that held a sequence of 7 woodland prints. I really like the idea of displaying small fibre based prints in a handmade book. It is a nice, tactile way of presenting a series of images, or it can be used as a sort of mini portfolio that can be easily carried around.

Anyway here are a few pictures of what I have made, if anyone has other interesting ways of presenting small photographs I would love to hear/see them.

The digital photos are a bit shocking: (battery was on its last legs so I had to act fast)..

Regards, Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like it. Did you take a course on bookbinding, or did you learn to do it by reading about it?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Sweet. I like the corners which will allow you to easily change the sequence order in case you decide later a new order works better.

Lately I've been warming up to going back to smaller pictures. Now that the dominate esthetic is moving to online viewing of images, I think the days of the 16x20 print may be numbered. Printing a image bigger doesn;t make it better. I remember an interview someone had with Wynton Marsalis where he told a story about his father telling him that he should always listen to recorded music at a low volumn. His father said it made you "lean into the music". I think small prints do the same thing. I've really started liking the CDV size prints, and subjects that are natural for that size of image. You may be on to something.

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice...... Something I'm trying to get round to doing myself sometime.

My girlfriend teaches traditional bookbinding at local colleges. Like our darkroom work, bookbinding is a lovely traditional craft and very satisfying to have a go at.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    It looks really good. Something I've been thinking about myself. Please tell us more about how you made the book.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David, No I just did a bit of reading online, once I learnt a basic stitching technique I just sort of worked the rest out. It's a really nice craft to get into. I bind all my sketchbooks etc myself now.

Dennis, The prints (in the top book) are actually window mounted between a folded page and glued in. I think for each image there is an optimum print size it will look best at. Small photographs can be lovely but I think that certain images need to be printed bigger to give full impact. On the contrary when I am printing certain negatives bigger I sometimes feel I am 'diluting' the image. Of course it all depends on the desired viewing distance. Presenting small photographs in a book require you to be close to the image, and it can create more of an intimate viewing experience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will take some more photos and give a bit more info on the construction in a bit, thanks for the comments.

Bill: I just noticed you're in Falmouth. I came down last week for the UCF open day to look at photography. It's a lovely place, definately a top choice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lovely work Alex. Have you been on a John Blakemore book making course?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Lovely work Alex. Have you been on a John Blakemore book making course?
    I wish! I didn't think he was still running courses? I really admire his work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's a beautiful little book! I too have a series of woodlands images, though mine are contact printed, which would lend themselves to something similar. Or some of my night shots contact printed in a book to show those people who are suspicious of my nocturnal activities.

Wonderful food for thought. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin