Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,160   Online: 823

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Press Flattening: Does Matboard surface matter?

Besides the obvious (it shouldn't be like sandpaper) will the texture of the matboard affect the print's appearance after pressing? I.e., is it imparted on the print surface or doesn't really matter?

I bring this up because I'm wondering if a smoother surface will cut down on orange peel of pressed prints.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of it is down to moisture; there's an influence from the cover paper or board, which should be well dried before starting the session. During flattening I think residual moisture in the print escapes into the cover material, and the texture of this board or paper tends to offset onto the surface of the print being mounted. So the smoother the cover the better, but don't use silicon release paper, it blocks moisture escaping & can give nasty mottling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After pressing, steaming over a pan or kettle of boiling water with papers like MCC, Polywarmtone gives a nice semi gloss, but don't cook your fingers . Martin's comments make sense, I've always used matt board, well for the last 30 yeras anyway.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin