Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,991   Online: 799

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that can generally be done in a photo editing program; I've done it with elements. The decision to watermark images, I think, depends. When I do the occasional portrait sitting, I upload a slide show to my website for clients to view. I watermark those images, because, ultimately, I want them to buy prints... not download them, and generate their own prints. As for my personal fine art work, I don't tend to water mark those. The scans out there are pretty low res, and though I'd rather not have people generate lousy prints from them... I don't mind (though I wish people would ask, first) if someone uses one of my pictures with a link to my site on, say, their blog. As long as they give a credit or link, I'm not troubled by it. Others might feel differently. And I might if I had to make a living at selling prints... my whole "marketing" of the images might take on a different tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chazzy none of the images in question in my case was digital, they are all B&W Fibre based prints, but we have to used an electronic format to show images on this or other websites including our own.

Remember that even an image in a book has to be digitised for litho-printing, this isn't about the hows & whys of the Digital process but rather the misuse of images. Personally I've found 3 images of mine used by a record company for CD covers/inserts etc and these were taken from actual prints, without permission.

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first thing a photographer should do is register all his/her images with the copyright office. It's cheap and easy to do. You can send a whole CD or DVD of the images in and pay once for them all. Once the images are registered with the copyright office you can take legal action for payment of the images used, and win. Without the copyright registration BEFORE the theft you wont win nor will any attorney take your case. Of course a settlement may be reached without the need of a court. Many photographers are using TinEye ( http://www.tineye.com/ ) for finding images that have been stolen. It's a reverse image look up engine. Very slick, and allows you to find images even if they have been altered and reused. Water marks are okay but a skilled PS user can take them out as easily as you put them in.

Please don't assume my first answer is to sue some poor blogger that likes your images and just wanted to use them for a background or something. But if there is real commerce being done with the use of your images, and someone is profiting because of it, then you should do all you can to protect your copyright and not let businesses think they can get away with stealing.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Copyright may work that way in the US but not elsewhere. In the case of the Blog site using my images, it's written by an Arts Journalist, many images are used, photographs, paintings etc alongside poetry & Prose. It's been the subject of a NYT article, so is above board, beneficial, fair use.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Fair use is one thing, and in many cases is beneficial to the photographer, someone blogs about your site and what a great photographer you are and uses an image of yours to illustrate the article, etc. It would still be nice if they asked of course. The big problem is detecting when your image has been snarfed for some purpose. Somewhere out there I recall a search engine where you can put in an image instead of a word, and it can query its database for instances of the image on the web. It's a brilliant idea, but unfortunatly despite having already indexed a huge amount of images, it has a lot more indexing to do before it is really useful IIRC.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Fair use is one thing, and in many cases is beneficial to the photographer, someone blogs about your site and what a great photographer you are and uses an image of yours to illustrate the article, etc. It would still be nice if they asked of course. The big problem is detecting when your image has been snarfed for some purpose. Somewhere out there I recall a search engine where you can put in an image instead of a word, and it can query its database for instances of the image on the web. It's a brilliant idea, but unfortunatly despite having already indexed a huge amount of images, it has a lot more indexing to do before it is really useful IIRC.
    I believe you're thinking of TinEye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I believe you're thinking of TinEye.
    Well I've just tried that site with the particular image that prompted this thread and nothing, so I tried 2 other images that I know are used on the Blog site & posted there 2-3 weeks ago and are also elsewhere including here on APUG in the Gallery, again nothing.

So it's a pretty worthless search site.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, it will only match something it's seen before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO, given the nature of the internet and it's culture, the moment you post something online it is fair game...for anything or anyone. I'm not saying it's right, or legal, or anything, but anytime I post an image online, I assume that. If I'm not willing to, I don't post it. Law and ethics aside, that's the the way it works in practice. There's no point fighting it or wasting time over it. You'll just seem out of touch I think.

But, upside, the power of the web to get your work out there far far outweighs any pitfalls of someone using your work unfairly.

Might as well embrace it how you can and let the rest roll off. Can't beat em join em sorta deal.

Personally, I think it's all pretty cool seeing ones work go viral, so to speak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    chazzy
    it is easy to watermark your images
    what you do is when the image is in elements
    you click on the type key and type whatever it is
    you want to watermark it with ... then go to the opacity slider
    and reduce the % until it is where you want it to be ..
    you can't do it with iphoto ...

===========================================

digital watermarking/ embedding can be done
    through places like digimarc (https://www.digimarc.com/ )
    it is invisible to the viewer, but you can track where the images
    end up ... like a tracking device ...
    im empty, good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin