Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,566   Online: 770

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What happens to Facebook images?

I do not use Facebook, or any other "voluntary data surrender services". I sent some personal photos (snail mail) to a family member with instructions not to copy them. My wife logged onto facebook and found that they had scanned them (poorly!) and uploaded the images to facebook. These are photos that I probably would not have let out of my darkroom if I knew that doing so would have their images lodged on some companies servers.

The whole thing makes me wonder what happens now. I suppose that Facebook's TOS says what they can do with uploaded images, since the uploader is an account holder and bound by the TOS. But what if someone uploads images that they themselves are not allowed to be copying? Does that change anything?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Facebook TOS says any upload must be free of copyright encumbrance. It is universally ignored by the users and only sporadically enforced by Facebook, however anything with nipples is removed nearly instantly. The TOS is rather obnoxious regarding how Facebook can utilize images, however it in more of a case of them CYAing than anything they ever do. I used to bother about it but have come to realize that image-wise Facebook is largely a repository of snapshots and other mostly unremarkable work, and beyond personal reasons, nobody has much interest in them. The resolution isn't particularly large either. They have no claim to your images because they were uploaded illegally (in violation of the TOS at least) an such a scenario doesn't invalidate your copyright. All in all though, they really don't care, and I doubt you have much to worry about. There is so much of so little on there it amounts to a verbal and visual landfill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What happens to Flicker images?

With my new phone I found a nice Flicker app that displays "My Photos", "Contacts", "Near Me", "Uploads" and "more".

I opened up "My Photos" and not a problem and nothing new there. There was nothing in "Contacts" as far as I went. The next one was "Near Me", I didn't know what that was so I opened it and saw the photo albums of the people in my neighborhood.

This was just the beginning, I browsed a few, it was creepy looking at the home shots, especially all of the babies and children, the couples in various embraces and quite intimate ones at that. I scrolled on and found the next best thing to live humans is POSSESSIONS, from electronics to cars and trucks it's all there for anyone to see.

That would be enough if it wasn't for a little secret that I found in the program. There is an "info" in the upper right hand corner, what kind of info would be displayed if I went there I wondered. I put the finger on info and the GPS coordinates of the location the photograph was taken were right there. That would be easy enough to find right, well it's much much simplifier that that. Just put the finger on the lower right corner of the screen and bring up the "directions" to the GPS coordinates. Instantly there is a map and a push pin right there. Then put the finger on the touch phone image of the push pin and there it is: the complete address of the location were the photograph was taken. So the baby or car or TV or electronics or anything of interest is there with a picture and a complete address zip code and all.

I suddenly felt like I had popped into the cyber security section of a law enforcement agency. On the way to the thanksgiving dinner with family I was the passenger and found that the "Near Me" was constantly updated as we drove. It's the combination of technologies coming together that strip away the security of the "average" person documenting his or her life.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats can of scary Curt.
    Last edited by mike c; 11-26-2009 at 11:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.pixable.com/
    what happens? they'll print them or make a book.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What happens to Flicker images?

With my new phone I found a nice Flicker app that displays "My Photos", "Contacts", "Near Me", "Uploads" and "more".

I opened up "My Photos" and not a problem and nothing new there. There was nothing in "Contacts" as far as I went. The next one was "Near Me", I didn't know what that was so I opened it and saw the photo albums of the people in my neighborhood.

This was just the beginning, I browsed a few, it was creepy looking at the home shots, especially all of the babies and children, the couples in various embraces and quite intimate ones at that. I scrolled on and found the next best thing to live humans is POSSESSIONS, from electronics to cars and trucks it's all there for anyone to see.

That would be enough if it wasn't for a little secret that I found in the program. There is an "info" in the upper right hand corner, what kind of info would be displayed if I went there I wondered. I put the finger on info and the GPS coordinates of the location the photograph was taken were right there. That would be easy enough to find right, well it's much much simplifier that that. Just put the finger on the lower right corner of the screen and bring up the "directions" to the GPS coordinates. Instantly there is a map and a push pin right there. Then put the finger on the touch phone image of the push pin and there it is: the complete address of the location were the photograph was taken. So the baby or car or TV or electronics or anything of interest is there with a picture and a complete address zip code and all.

I suddenly felt like I had popped into the cyber security section of a law enforcement agency. On the way to the thanksgiving dinner with family I was the passenger and found that the "Near Me" was constantly updated as we drove. It's the combination of technologies coming together that strip away the security of the "average" person documenting his or her life.

Wow, that sounds like the setting of an expose' video, 60 Minutes-esque.. to be uploaded to YouTube where it will go viral.

In my opinion, Government is inept. It fails at everything it does. It even failed to keep a lucrative brothel running in the black when it overtook the Mustang Ranch in Nevada after they threw the owner in jail for for liberating his income from the goons. Within six months the brothel went bellyup. Bankrupt! Government is one big giant failure. We don't need a new big brother program to rule over us honest people and the overhead of one to look over the bad boys (and girls) is just unbecoming to a free people flogged into paying taxes for every sundry under the sun and then some.

Information is King!

It is information that will save a free society! Someone needs to expose this thing you stumbled upon and make it look really dark and foreboding. The embarrassment will cure the problem (I wager).
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    35mm
    I imagine that if you tell Facebook that user x has uploaded images in violation of your copyright then Facebook will remove them pretty quickly. Fill out the form here to request a DMCA takedown notice... though it might be a better idea just to ask your relative to take the pictures down!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I suggest a long talk in a closed room with the family in question.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I do not use Facebook, or any other "voluntary data surrender services".
    Me neither. But I have a lot of friends who are so into this SNS stuff and keeping themselves busy uploading and uploading and uploading...

Now when you have facebook, Twitter, myspace, flickr, youtube, APUG, etc, and you have a cell phone and PC and a bunch of cameras, life is busier than you want it to be.

I would rather take a good nap than worry about these things.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I was a very enthusiastic protester, the last thing I would do is to make my own profile...

Prosecutors Drop Charges over Twitter Use at G-20 Protests
    http://www.democracynow.org/2009/11/5/headlines#8

CIA Invests in Software Firm Monitoring Blogs, Twitter
    http://www.democracynow.org/2009/10/...irm_monitoring

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin