Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,075   Online: 734

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

tiny mounting problem

I have some 20x30cm prints on 12x16" paper and I want to mount them to 40x50cm (16x20") window mounts to match the 8x8" prints I have matted to 16x20". Only problem is this leaves me with an even 4" border all the way round. Ideally the border would be a third bigger at the bottom, but I'm stubborn about making the mount any bigger. I'd like the mountboard to remain 16x20" or another conventional paper size larger than 12x16". Any way of getting round this? Could people explore other options with me. Would you be bothered about having an even border all around or do you feel the extra depth below the print is needed visually? How do you mount your 20x30cm prints, that's if you print to this size. Cheers for any input.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would only raise the print a half inch above center. It's not a lot, but it will keep it from looking low and still provide a good border on top.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is devilishly difficult for me to follow your description - drawings or photos would help.

>Would you be bothered about having an even border all around or do you feel the extra depth below the print is needed visually?

This part I can answer. Recently I matted and framed a 16" [40cm] square print and one 16x20" [40x50cm]. My mats were symmetrical all round, and they look fine. My framing store recommended this method, and I'm happy with it.

I'm a cabinetmaker, and doors traditionally have wider lower rails than the middle or top rails, so I understand the custom of having a larger border at the bottom. Either way would look great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Greg and Larry, I can try both.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    ...Would you be bothered about having an even border all around or do you feel the extra depth below the print is needed visually? ...
    Yes, and yes. I mount to the optical center. I hope the attachment is self-explanatory. Lines a & b half the horizontal and vertical white space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MountingRWL.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Yes, and yes. I mount to the optical center. I hope the attachment is self-explanatory. Lines a & b half the horizontal and vertical white space.
    I do get it, but wonder where this originated. I have not seen this geometry before. It does look "right", though.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    I do get it, but wonder where this originated. I have not seen this geometry before. It does look "right", though.
    Dave

I have no idea about the origination, but I do have a 1938 book on print finishing, and it explains the technique without showing the geometry. The main point is to have the print just above the vertical center. If centered, the print optically 'sags' to the bottom. Most likely an optical illusion of some sort.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Dave

I have no idea about the origination, but I do have a 1938 book on print finishing, and it explains the technique without showing the geometry. The main point is to have the print just above the vertical center. If centered, the print optically 'sags' to the bottom. Most likely an optical illusion of some sort.
    I have heard of a "stability rule", which is used in printing, composition, and even font design. Pretty much means bottom-heavy is normal. I used to be a draftsman, so your line construction looked interesting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's A quick little calculator to use that might help?
    regards
    erik
    http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/centering.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem I have is that if I position the window off centre then the top border will be smaller than the two sides. Would this matter less to you? Do you think its necessary for the top border and the two side borders to be equal to each other? It's something I'm going to have to forgo if I want my mount to remain 16x20" and have a larger space at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin