Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,038   Online: 1234

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gudy Mounting Adhesive

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Gudy Mounting Adhesive for cold mounting prints? Thoughts on it? Wanted to see if there were any opinions before I bought a roll to try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thinking of that $26 roll. Perhaps we
    could split one? Break ourselves in
    on it. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan, I actually just pulled the trigger and ordered a roll from Gaylord in Syracuse.

I should have some feedback within the month and I'll try to remember to come back and post on it here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I've received and began to use a few rolls of the Gudy 870 adhesive. I'm mounting 10x6.5" inkjets in an album. Thus far I'm impressed. The inkjet paper is Museo Silver rage, which is thick and card stock-ish, furthermore it was off a roll, so it has substantial curve, w/ that it's still easy to lay the prints down on the adhesive, trim them and mount them in the book. I wouldn't want to try to do it with prints bigger than 11x14 by hand w/ this paper, but if the paper was flatter or less stiff (easier to control) then I'd be comfortable doing it with a bigger sized print. With a roller set up or cold press I think one could get the hang of doing very large prints with this stuff.

Anyway, really easy to use and it seems to be strong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, this is what I was using it for, in case you're curious: http://graememitchell.com/blog/unrea...tfolio-edition. The pages do bend and have flex to them, and so far the adhesive seems to hold the prints down fine, w/o any lifting off or what have your.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    BTW, this is what I was using it for, in case you're curious: http://graememitchell.com/blog/unrea...tfolio-edition. The pages do bend and have flex to them, and so far the adhesive seems to hold the prints down fine, w/o any lifting off or what have your.
    That looks very nice. I'm looking to do something similar - replace my current leather portfolio that has plastic sleeves with a sleeveless book of real wet prints. I am unclear on whether to go with dry mounting (I don't have a press, so this could get expensive) or something like this.

So you think this is a suitable substitute for dry-mounting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I can tell so far, yes, it's a suitable alternative to dry mounting. But this is only after having working w/ the material for a few days, so take that statement w/ a large disclaimer saying such.

The portfolios I'm doing are more for collecting and taking out of the box to look at occasionally. I'm not sure I'd go this route for something that is going to be used for promotion or handled a lot. Not b/c I wouldn't have faith in this mounting material, but mainly b/c those kind of portfolios, especially if you leave them behind, get very beat up very quickly, and exposed prints tend to look worse than sleeved ones after a few months of use. Not to mention it's important to be able to keep them updated on a regular basis. But I guess it depends a bit on your market, I'm thinking for commercial and editorial hustle...it's different if you're goal is to get gallery rep.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think I'll try it. The book will be handled by clients, but when you think about the price and effort involved in the standard duo rag paper printing and scoring, it's a bout a wash when it comes back needing new prints. Or maybe I'll say screw 'em and keep using the sleeves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done sleeveless books and they just ended up getting messy. But I'm sure it can be done well if approached right, which I'm sure I wasn't

IME, the standard for books is House of Portfolios in NYC. Plain black book and case. Then to get tons of sleeves and change them every 5 or so times the book goes out. Nothing at all to distract from the work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have three or four H.O.P books right now! I only ever end up using one anyway (lack of popularity, I suppose).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin