Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,929   Online: 1016

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ink for writing on prints

I'd like to write on some prints of mine, back and possibly front. As of now, they are RC prints, but there will be some FB prints too at some point. I'd rather not use something like a Sharpie, since they fade with light and generally aren't archival. However, I'm having problems finding something that will actually write on the back of an RC print, stay, and be waterproof. There's got to be something out there...

I'm ok with using a fountain pen or a dip pen if that's what needs to happen. Actually, I'd rather do that then buy some kind of pigment-based marker.

So if anyone has recommendations for specific products that they know work, that would be great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ink used in a pen will also fade by light, I think the best option is graphite based markers like pencils, these do not fade or search in art stores for archival markers, they must exist although they may be a little expensive. (maybe ink based on metal??).
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want ink for a dip or fountain pen, use Noodlers otherwise get a carbon/pigmented based ink like this Pigma, light-fast and archival.

Eli

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas. The Pigma markers don't work at all. They don't dry. Sakura makes another line of markers, Microperm which do work reasonably well, but I'm unsure of how close/different they are from Sharpies, which are not ideal.

I'll check out the Noodlers.

Images
    The Prismacolor Premier pens are archival, acid free, and lightfast. They do dry readily on RC paper, but not on something as impermeable as a Plastine or plastic negative file. Several tips diameters are available. I get the pens at my local artists' supply, and have been using these to label my RC proof sheets.

As for the back of a fiber print I would use pencil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the back of RC prints I use Sharpies or a #8B pencil. For the front I use Sharpies as the mark can be wiped off with 90% methanol or Pec-12. Sharpie on the front will wash off with processing, on the back it lives through processing.

I don't know that Sharpies fade in light, they do weather off in outdoor applications unless applied to something porous.

For signing on the front you might try India ink with a bit of ox gall to help it wet. The ink might flake off with time, though.

At one time prints were signed with India ink with a bit of sugar added. Worked okay until the ants came an ate the signatures off the prints.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tasty ink. Interesting.

This might develop into a mixed media project, so I was looking for something black and ink-like.

Related question - what kind of ink pads are used for those rubber stamps people stamp their prints with sometimes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    At one time prints were signed with India ink with a bit of sugar added. Worked okay until the ants came an ate the signatures off the prints.
    Oops, one of those unintended consequences we hear about.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin